Author Topic: Silkstone, Yorkshire  (Read 2503 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Silkstone, Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
So sorry didn't want to overload  info, however all I have is:-
Mary Lawton ( her mothers maiden name) but was christened Burgess after mother  wed  Fred Burgess.and story has it she was born out of wedlock possibly Strutt. Hence all the names.   

Mary's mother was Alice Lawton and Alice Lawton's mother was Elizabeth Ann Lawton  but don't know who she married.   This is all I have except Elizabeth Ann's mother was Phoebe Lawton.

Truly grateful for any help.    Thanks

Is this the christening?

Mary Burgess
Birth Date - 25 Feb 1901
Baptism Date - 2 Feb 1902
Baptism Place - Silkstone with Stainborough, All Saints, Yorkshire, England
Father Fred Burgess - Trade or Profession- Traveller
Mother Alice Burgess -
Abode - Silkstone Common

In 1911 Alice is a widow as born 'Silkstone' and Mary is as born 'Leeds'.

Note - Silkstone was in the West Riding, near Barnsley

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
Marriage
Fred Burgess
Alice Lawton
Registration Quarter:   Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district:   Hunslet [Leeds]
Yorkshire West Riding
Volume:   9b
Page:   482

Births
Dec 1901 
LAWTON    Mary       
Hunslet    9b   236   

Couldn't find birth registration for a Mary 'Burgess' in the area

So it looks possible that Mary was born illegitimate in Feb 1901, Hunslet, Leeds. Fred and Alice then married in Oct-Nov-Dec 1901, Hunslet and around the same time as the marriage they registered, quite late, Mary's birth in Hunslet.
Mary was then christened in Silkstone in 2 Feb 1902

Offline Beechbaby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 August 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for great info. sallyyorks.   I am trying to help a relative(by marriage) who lives in Canada it is her relatives/grandparents etc and unfortunately no one alive to ask those all important questions.   
I may be able to move on with your info, thanks once again.

Thank you also CaroleW.  the name Strutt came from a story told down the line that he may possibly be the father but this sadly cant be confirmed.
sorry about the "Cryptic request"  but im a bit of a novice.

mrsruz I am aware Silkstone is near Barnsley which as you say is West Yorkshire I put it in North Yorkshire request because I 'could'nt see Barnsley, but thank you once again.

Thank you also Ruskie for your info (not sure what NRY stand for tho ) :)

Thanks all for your time and trouble much appreciated.
Nattrass  -     Heaton  -    Segwick  -  Hammersley  -  Hall -  Prestwich.  Heartwell

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 August 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
... I am trying to help a relative(by marriage) who lives in Canada it is her relatives/grandparents etc and unfortunately no one alive to ask those all important questions.   

Do you have the marriage info for Fred and Alice?, at St Silas, Hunslet on the 12th of November 1901 
Interestingly one of the witnesses is a 'Tom Strutt'

No father is named at the marriage for Alice. Is it possible that the family story about there being a 'Strutt father/relative' was about Alice, and not Mary?

Offline Beechbaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 August 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Sallyyorks  the name Strutt comes from Phoebe Lawton who married Thomas Strutt date ???and by what I can gather. She had a daughter the said Elizabeth Ann Lawton. B 1868 out of wedlock and I think I found E. Ann on ancestry last (late) night living with her grandparents Edward & Mary Lawton aged 3.   Elizabeth Ann Lawton/Strutt is the  living relatives who im trying to help  2x great grandmother if I and all info is correct!!.

I do seem to be stuck in finding who Elizabeth Ann Lawton/Strutt b 1868 married :(  onwards and upwards .  Thanks again .
Nattrass  -     Heaton  -    Segwick  -  Hammersley  -  Hall -  Prestwich.  Heartwell

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
Sallyyorks  the name Strutt comes from Phoebe Lawton who married Thomas Strutt date ???and by what I can gather. She had a daughter the said Elizabeth Ann Lawton. B 1868 out of wedlock and I think I found E. Ann on ancestry last (late) night living with her grandparents Edward & Mary Lawton aged 3.   Elizabeth Ann Lawton/Strutt is the  living relatives who im trying to help  2x great grandmother if I and all info is correct!!.

I do seem to be stuck in finding who Elizabeth Ann Lawton/Strutt b 1868 married :(  onwards and upwards .  Thanks again .

There is an Alice Strutt on the 1891 census, age 7, born 1884 Silkstone.
'Grandaughter' of Tom (coal miner) and Phoebe Strutt, but yes, it seems she is known as Alice Lawton in other records.
1901 she is with Tom and Phoebe as well
Grandparents giving a young Grandchild their surname, on the census, is something I have come across before though.

Alice Lockwood Lawton
Baptism
Birth Date  4 Feb 1884
Baptism Date 4 Apr 1889
Baptism Place Silkstone with Stainborough, All Saints, Yorkshire, England
Mother Elizabeth Ann Lawton

I wonder where the 'Lockwood' middle name comes from?. It was quite common in Yorkshire to use family surnames as forenames. Lockwood here does seem to be the middle name

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
'Lockwoods' !

1881 Census
Armitage Bridge
Huddersfield

William Eastwood Lockwood age 62 - Butcher
Emma Lockwood 52
Edward Wm. Lockwood 24 - Architect
Frederick Lockwood   19 - Architect
Susannah Lockwood   59
Edward Lockwood   53 - Butcher [brother of William]
Elizabeth Ann Lawton age 13 born 1868 Dodworth [near Silkstone] - Servant

Offline Beechbaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
Sallyyorks please don't ask me how I know as the story was told to me many years ago (possibly by one of my hubbys elderly Aunts) but the Lockwood story was.... that Elizabeth Ann Lawton worked for the Lockwood Butchers that you have found and one of the sons  bit later in E.Anns life (as I think she is only 13 on the census you mention which I looked at last night) got her pregnant and kicked her out hence the birth out of wedlock of Alice Lawton !!!!!    not 100% on this but........ (or it could have even been the head of the household  :-[  but it did happen. (hope I'm alright to put this on here if not please delete it.
I am still trying to figure out who Elizabeth Ann Lawton married or did she ??? I think I have found Alice Lawton who married Fred Burgess having children by a Albert Hustler (all names I have mentioned are deceased)  a Frank, Madge and a Joan and then there was Mary b1901 possible father Strutt who went on to have out of wedlock another Elizabeth Ann b 1920 then she had others (still alive) with Ernest Heartwell.   my head is splitting  :D

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Sallyyorks please don't ask me how I know as the story was told to me many years ago (possibly by one of my hubbys elderly Aunts) but the Lockwood story was.... that Elizabeth Ann Lawton worked for the Lockwood Butchers that you have found and one of the sons  bit later in E.Anns life (as I think she is only 13 on the census you mention which I looked at last night) got her pregnant and kicked her out hence the birth out of wedlock of Alice Lawton !!!!!    not 100% on this but........ (or it could have even been the head of the household  :-[  but it did happen. (hope I'm alright to put this on here if not please delete it.
I am still trying to figure out who Elizabeth Ann Lawton married or did she ??? I think I have found Alice Lawton who married Fred Burgess having children by a Albert Hustler (all names I have mentioned are deceased)  a Frank, Madge and a Joan and then there was Mary b1901 possible father Strutt who went on to have out of wedlock another Elizabeth Ann b 1920 then she had others (still alive) with Ernest Heartwell.   my head is splitting  :D

It looks like the story might be true, probably one of the sons? Sad if they kicked her out, and what with those sons sitting pretty as 'Architects' as well  >:(

I haven't found a marriage for Elizabeth either. Maybe she didn't marry after all