Author Topic: Hanson Family - Scotland and/or England  (Read 922 times)

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hanson Family - Scotland and/or England
« on: Sunday 26 August 18 00:53 BST (UK) »
     Trying to find the parents of Henry HANSON.  Henry Hanson, probably born in Scotland 1774 or 1776, was a British Army Lieutenant, who served in the Cape Regiment 1808-1818. Ended his career by retiring as the Assistant Ordnance Barracks Master General, and  stayed in Cape Town. He helped build the first library in Cape Town and served as one of its first librarians, 1821-1822. 
     Henry died at age 56 in Cape Town, South Africa, on 26 Feb 1830.  Henry  married in the Holy Trinity Church, Whitehaven, Cumbria, England, on 1 Nov 1803 to Catharine BLANCHE.  Catharine was born in 1781 or 1784, died at age 48 in Cape Town, South Africa, on 16 May 1832.  Witness to Henry and Catharine's wedding in Whitehaven was a Maria SCARGILL, nee Hanson.
     This particular Maria HANSON, married to James SCARGILL, has their marriage license listing them both of the parish of St Bartholomew, City of London. The two witnesses were William and Margaret HANSON.
     I suspect Henry and Maria were siblings and William and Margaret are closely related.
     A daughter of Henry and Catharine Hanson, Eliza Anne, married Jan Karel van Haastert in the Dutch East Indies and I am a direct descendant.
     I have most, if not all, of the family reconstructed, but records of Europeans in the Dutch East Indies era is now few and far between.  I am hoping I can identify whom are Henry's parents.

Any Help and assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Rob van Haastert
Eagle River, Alaska

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Hanson Family - Scotland and/or England
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

MARY Hanson christened 16 Apr 1806, birth 29 Mar 1806, Perth, Perth, Scotland
Parents Henry Hanson and Catherine Blench

So not necessarily born there but may have been stationed there in Perthshire.

( as a interesting side line when searching for Maria Hanson born c 1771-1781 England in Familysearch.Org, one came up in 1841 Census and all of Buckingham Palace The Queen and Staff are listed!)

Have you found Maria Scargill on Census to see when/where she was born?
Did she and Joseph marry Cumberland as well?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thank you for the suggestion to examine the British census.  I knew Henry was out of country, but forgot Maria stayed in England and may be in the census.  Mary Hanson born in 1806 data I have; unfortunately, Mary must have died before Henry was transferred to Cape Town.

There are two children of the Henry and Catharine HANSON family, I do not know what happened to them.  Henry, Jr. ( born 29 March 1806 UK) and George (baptised 21 Jun 1809 Brixton, Hampshire, England).  Both lived in Cape Town.

The register of Permissions to Leave the Cape Colony (CO 6067) had the following entries under Hanson/Hansen:
 9 Mar 1833  Mr CEK Hanson. TARTAR brig (Capt P Rough)  Dutch:  for Batavia.  (CEK - Charles Ebhart Kent, Eliza's brother)
12 Jul 1836  Mr Frederick Drummond Hanson.  HENRIETTA HENRI. Capt Spielenberg.  Dutch:  for Batavia.
10 Mar 1837  Mr H Hansen.  BRITON. (Capt C. Warming) English:  for London.  (May or may not be Henry Hanson, Jr.)
1 Feb 1838  Misses Fanny, Eliza, and Lydia Hanson.  MATILDA (Capt Comin) English ship:  for Batavia.

I know Charles, Fanny, Eliza Anne, and Lydia lived on Java in the Dutch East Indies.

British Army Lieutenant.  Army records lists his birth as 1774, Death at age 56 in 1830, thus born in 1774. Marriage license has age 27 in Oct 1803, thus 1776. WO/25/761 Officers Service 1828 lists service record:
WO/25/761_1.pdf  page 224/495
11 Oct 1774      Dumbarton Fencibles (age 20) by enlisting 12 men
24 Nov 1796     25 Regiment of Foot  (Ensign)
23 Jan 1797      25 Regiment of Foot  (Lt) 
6 Jun 1798        5 Regiment of Foot  (Lt)   
date unknown    Irish Brigade (Lt)
 8 Jun 1808       Cape Regiment of Infantry (Lt)
24 Sep 1817      Cape Regiment of Infantry (Lt)  Half Pay
Ordnance Barrack Master, Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope
Salary:  173 pounds 7 -  6 per annum
married 1 Nov 1803 Whitehaven, Cumberland, Parish of St. Brees
kids:
Henry   29 March 1806
George  3 May 1809
Frances 8 May 1813
Charles 19 Apr 1816
Frederick  30 Nov 1817
Eliza   14 Jun 1820
Lydia   17 Jun 1822
signed by Henry Hanson, 30 June 1820
===

Thank you again!

Rob van Haastert

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 01:48 BST (UK) »
The Mary baptism posted by trish1120 is clearly the child of your Henry and Catherine:

Mary Hanson, lawful daughter of Henry Hanson, late Lieutenant of 25th Regiment of Foot, now adjutant in the Perth Volunteers, and Catherine Blench (or Blanch) his spouse.   Mary bp.16/4/1806 and born on 29/3/1806!   

Since Mary's birthdate is the same date you show for Henry junior something is clearly wrong - Henry junior couldn't have been born on that date - if he was a twin of Mary he'd also have been baptised at the same time??

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Thank you for taking the time to provide input.  I also see that Mary and Henry have the same birth date.  The information on the 1808 Henry is from their father's military records.

I surmise Mary must have been a frail infant and was baptised quickly.  Mary did not make the voyage to Cape Town.  Henry did make the voyage. 

I do not know if Henry and his brother George returned to England, stayed in South Africa, or went to Java along with their siblings.

I appreciate the time and assistance with this HANSON family!

Rob van Haastert

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
Cant find a Bapt for Henry 1806 but George 1809 is easy to find.

I looked for a Henry Hanson born c 1771-1781 Enaland and Scotland on Familysearch and FreeREG

Then tried to match any of the Parents of that Henry with a Daug Maria born around same time frame.

Nothing stood out a a definite possible :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 02:20 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know which Scottish or English Census' were available in the 1770 to 1816 time frame.

I am looking for a clue for the birth place for Maria HANSON, suspected sister of Henry HANSON.

Maria married James SCARGILL on 8 May 1792 at St. Bartholomew the Great, London, and later
Maria married James Greig Mudie on 6 Dec 1812 at St. George the Martyr, Southwark, Surrey.

Maria was born circa 1771, according to Bishop's Transcript for St James, Piccadilly, England burials.  Transcript lists Maria Mudee age 45 buried on 20 Dec 1816.

Thank you for pointing me to any available census'.

Rob