Author Topic: Ada Rosina Colquhoun (nee Bishop) Joseph Colquhoun Andrew Colquhoun  (Read 4475 times)

Offline Gaye Colquhoun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ada Rosina Colquhoun (nee Bishop) Joseph Colquhoun Andrew Colquhoun
« on: Sunday 26 August 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
I am interested in contacting descendants of Ada Rosina Colquhoun nee Bishop. My grandfather  Joseph Colquhoun born in Belfast between 1875-1878. Was married to Ada Rosina Bishop 7th June 1900. His parents are listed as Andrew Colquhoun and Annie Colquhoun nee Smith. His second marriage was to Ada Bowyer in 1921. His second marriage certificate states he was born in Dublin. He was never divorced. His death cerificate shows he was born in Dublin and died at age 89 in 1963. We doubt he was born in Dublin as he enlisted in WW1 as a Protestant Soldier. His ashes are buried in the Protestant returned soldiers section of Waikamete cemetery so it's unlikely that he was a Catholic from Dublin. I have also been told he was born in Dumbarton,  County Luss Scotland. My father and uncle were adamant he was Scottish and my brother remembers him having a Scottish accent. I am wondering if there were 2 Joseph Colquhouns in Auckland at that time and seeek clarity on this matter. Both his marriage certificates and death certificate show different ages and places of birth. It is believed that he may have arrived in New Zealand with his parents as my father spoke of Aunts and Uncles living in Auckland when he was growing up and I have made contact with one of their offspring. I also remember visiting 2 of his cousins who lived in Selwyn Street Onehunga - Betty Lewis (nee Colhoun) and Ina Collins (nee Colhoun) whose mother's name was Jess. They changed the spelling of their name to Colhoun. Ada Rosina Colquhoun was buried in Mangere Lawn Cemetery in 1964. Joseph and Ada had 5 children. Leonard Robert Colhoun born 1900, Reginald Percy born 1902, John Colhoun born 1903, Myrtle Ivy Colhoun born 1904 and Ethel Gladys born 1907. Their last known address was Emma St, Mt Eden in 1916.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Rosina Colquhoun (nee Bishop) Joseph Colquhoun Andrew Colquhoun
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
Duplicate topic here with some replies-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799237
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
These are the two marriages?. You are descended from the second marriage, and, in researching the origins of Joseph  COLQUHOUN you are wanting to contact descendants of Ada Rosina BISHOP  - the children you have named?

BDM NZ marriage
1900/2595   BISHOP Ada Rosina   m. COLHOUN   Joseph
1921/3609   BOWYER Adalaide Leslie  m.  COLQUHOUN   Joseph   

BDM NZ birth

1900 /16139   COLHOUN           Leonard Robert              parents      Ada Rose / Joseph   
1902 /5244   COLHOUN           Reginald Percy             parents      Ada Rose / Joseph      
1903 /1638   COLHOUN           John                              parents      Ada Rose / Joseph   
1904 /4632   COLHOUN           Myrtle Ivy                     parents      Ada Rose / Joseph   
1907 /1631   COLHOUN     Ethel Gladys              parents      Ada Rose / Joseph   
1909 /23755   COLQUHOUN     Hazel Adelaide              parents       Ada Rosina /Joseph
1914 /29424   COLQUHOUN   Nellie Rose                   parents       Ada Rose / NR   
1916 /5658   COLQUHOUN   Daniel John              parents        Ada Rose / NR

WW1 record  #15340 on several occasions records his birth date 13 Jun 1872 and 13 June 1873.
Birth place ( to me this looks like Bally O)   Co. Donegal. Mother and father born Co. Donegal

Born 13 June 1872 / 3 Co. Donegal.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
I am interested in contacting descendants of ...

Hello Gaye

A point to bear in mind, is that Rootschat is for tracing dead ancestors for family history.

Rootschat does not trace and name individuals still living.

Mark

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Use BDM NZ online to find four births to BOWYER Adelaide  1913 - 1916.

In researching the origins of Joseph COLQUHOUN  I think the details on the WW1 file will advise you better than will anything that family descendants might know.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
In researching the origins of Joseph COLQUHOUN  I think the details on the WW1 file will advise you better than will anything that family descendants might know.

The problem being no likely birth for Joseph can yet be found in County Donegal, Dublin, in Belfast or anywhere in Ireland.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
"...Both his marriage certificates and death certificate show different ages and places of birth"

Two marriage certificates, one death certificate. We need to know what is on these documents. Do not identify people who might still be alive.  What do you see for parents names,  birthplace  etc.

This arrival in New Zealand   
Auckland Star 3 Sep 1879 p2
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS18790909.2.10?
....COLQUHOUN family......

Online tree for Rosina Harvey  COLQUHOUN  m. Fred PORTER in NZ has this family in Ireland, including Ballybo, Donegal.

WW1 enlistment file ....I am seeing C of E for religion at images 9, 15, 26 and 27.
At image 25....name........ R Joseph COLQUHOUN..........

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 August 18 18:27 BST (UK) »