Author Topic: St Pancras New Chapel independent  (Read 779 times)

Offline Marton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Pancras New Chapel independent
« on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
I have looked for this Chapel --  can anyone tell me if it is still in use, and whereabouts the site is please
Can I assume it is a Baptist Chapel or another denomination ?
The confusion for me is that it appears to be either in St Pancras /Paddington/Marylebone area
Help would be wonderful as I have James Stacey b.1820 there to Richard Stacey and Elizabeth Burgt or Burge
thanks
Marton

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Pancras New Chapel independent
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Richard and Elizabeth are described as " ... of 17 Croydon Street, Marylebone ...".
The FindMyPast transcription includes "LONDON: New Road, Paddington Chapel (Independent)" 

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
The source reference RG 4/4348 shows that it was a Congregational (Independent) chapel in New Road, Marylebone (TNA catalogue).

Some history here ...
https://aim25.com/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=12594&inst_id=118&nv1=search&nv2=
“The Paddington Chapel was a Congregational Chapel built in 1813. The building of the church was funded by businessman Thomas Wilson, who supported the building of several churches across the United Kingdom. The church was situated in Saint Marylebone. In 1815 a Sunday School was opened. The Sunday School began to include Writing Classes which developed into a full time Day School, which was open between 1828 and 1874. An attempt was made in 1919 to change the name of the church to "Saint Marylebone Congregational Church" to clear up misunderstandings that it was situated in Paddington, but the decision was made to retain the old name. In 1941 the church was hit by an incendiary bomb but it sustained little damage. The church was closed in the late 1970s and the building was demolished in 1981.”

You can see the Chapel marked on the bottom left corner of this map square, between Harcourt Street and Homer (Place), in the green shaded section ...
http://london1868.com/weller27b.htm

ADDED - 'New Road' is now Marylebone Road.

Offline Marton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all the information, it was not in the area I expected to find it
and I am so pleased
It has been very difficult to find a marriage for James Stacey to either of his wives/partners, Elizabeth
Webster and Mary Brockey Boston  , so we keep looking
sincerely
Marton