Author Topic: Elizabeth Fox - death/burial and mystery  (Read 753 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Fox - death/burial and mystery
« on: Sunday 26 August 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I had thought that I had found the correct burial for Elizabeth although having recently ordered certificates I have found that I am wrong.

Elizabeth Garner, born abt 1807 in Nottingham, was the wife of Joseph Fox (born 1807 in Long Whatton).

I have established that Joseph and Elizabeth used an alias from time to time - William Cook and Elizabeth Cook to complicate things.

In 1841, the couple are separately listed - Joseph as William Cook living in Lowdham with some of their children and Elizabeth Fox staying with her parents in Long Whatton, with a daughter.  In 1851, the couple are living in Lowdham as William and Elizabeth Cook.  Elizabeth dies sometime between 1851 and 1859, as in 1859 Joseph remarries Sarah Singleton in Nottingham as Joseph Fox and listed as a Widower.  Joseph and Sarah Fox are in Lowdham in 1861.  They are listed as William Cook and Sarah in Lowdham in 1871.  They are then back as Joseph Fox and Sarah Fox in Lowdham in 1881.

Joseph Fox dies in 1886, death certificate states Joseph Fox although burial in Lowdham has Joseph Cook, with Cook crossed out and the name Fox above.  Sarah dies in 1889 in Gunthorpe - again the death certificate is for Sarah Fox, although the burial in Lowdham lists Sarah Cook.

I include the above as it is therefore possible that the death/burial may be listed under the alias of Elizabeth Cook.

I had thought that I had found the burial of Elizabeth Fox in Lowdham on 15/11/1857 with two death entries listed for that quarter in Lowdham (Southwell district).  Having bought the certificates, one is for Elizabeth Fox of Lowdham (wife of William Fox framework knitter - aged 46)and the second is for Elizabeth Fox of Norton Grange (wife of Mark Fox, never in business, aged 55).  Now in view of the couples alias' it is still possible that the first one is my Elizabeth although I am not sure - is there even a William and Elizabeth Fox in Lowdham?

Can anyone find an alternative burial in Lowdham/Nottingham area for Elizabeth Fox/Elizabeth Cook between 1851-1859 that may fit?

I would also be interested if anyone can shed any light on why Joseph Fox lived his life partially under the alias of William Cook?  His mother's maiden name was Cook and that may have something to do with it.  His parents were Francis Fox and Mary Cook of Long Whatton - I cannot find a burial for his mother as Mary Fox in Long Whatton although his father remarries in Long Whatton in 1828.  I wonder if Mary reverted to Cook and Joseph stayed with her hence the confusion over surname although that would not explain a change in christian name to William!  The alternative might be that he was in trouble with the law, although I have not found anything to support a life of crime.....

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards

TB

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Fox - death/burial and mystery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
My rather old notts FHS CD only has burials up to 1830 for Lowdham, which is no use for you.

But I'm rather confused - just a few questions:

1. The obvious - how do you know that Joseph/William/Fox/Cook were all the same person?

2. Have you found a marriage for Joseph and Elizabeth?
- EDITED TO ADD -- Yes, I've found one now in Long Whatton, 17 Nov 1828; although both parties were OTP on the marriage register, the banns state that Joseph was from Shepshed --

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
More -- Any baptisms sightings for the children?

Can you be sure (i suppose not, actually!) that Joseph's second marriage wasn't bigamous? Or indeed that this was the same man?

You've given Joseph's parents and POB as in Long Whatton, but the Willm Cook in Lowdham in 1851 gives POB as Nottingham  --  ??

I see that Joseph's parents baptised another younger brother William (1811) - it seems odd that Joseph should call himself by a name already in use in his family - but maybe William didn't survive, although I can't see a burial (though it does state in the records that the church became "destitute of a regular Pator"!)

You say that "Elizabeth Fox" is in Long Whatton in 1841 with her parents -- do you mean with Joseph's parents? Are any children with her? I can't find her on first skin through the 1841 census. -- Found her - with William and Selener Garner? and Frances? The census is very faded!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to look. 

This was something I looked at with Rootschatters around 9 years ago, when I was still relatively new to it all:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=330627.msg2108251#msg2108251

That might give you a bit of history as to where we got at that time.  I found Joseph Fox’s burial afterwards and interestingly that had Cook crossed out and Fox added - tying it together with this research.

The children’s names in the various households also helps provide a link.

Thanks for helping and providing a fresh eye to the research.

Regards

TB