Author Topic: William with his brothers ?Date Please?  (Read 711 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William with his brothers ?Date Please?
« on: Sunday 26 August 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
I have been sent a photo in the last week,of William and his brothers.
Enquiries have been sent as to is there anything on the back - photographers  studio name, date etc but I am sure that its the people its claimed to be.
Left to right
brother 1 (1880-1933)
William (1878-1918)
brother 2  (1888-1929)

They were all born in Dublin, brother 1 remained there, William settled in England in the mid to late 1890s and brother 3 was in England in 1901 and back in Dublin by 1911.
They were not a well off family.

I know that William was in Dublin in 1905, to arrange his mother's funeral and burial

Can anyone tell me if this photo looks likely to have been taken c 1905?

Thanks
Boo

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William with his brothers ?Date Please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Boo

My guess would be slightly later than 1905 but it could well be. Jim will no doubt be more accurate

Regards

AJ

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you, an educated guess is way better than my guess would ever be :-)

Boo

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
I'd have to say it's possible that it's around 1905-1907 as especially the gentleman on the right still looks like a teenager. However, if it is at the time of the services/burial,  I'd say it would be bad form to wear a "lucky horseshoe" tie pin to a funeral as the gentleman in the center seems to be doing. Also neither of the other two are wearing a boutonniere, so it could be a wedding/prom/graduation.

My two cents. Hope you enjoy the cleaned up photo.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
oh thank you, that was kind of you to spend the time to clean it up and its much appreciated.

I didn't mean to imply that is was taken 'at' the funeral, just that I know he was definitely in Dublin at that time as his mother's burial record has his name and full address in England as the person who arranged the funeral.
He was a cattle dealer and may well have been back and forth to Dublin over the years, but the burial record is the only definite record I have that he was there.

Boo

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
oh thank you, that was kind of you to spend the time to clean it up and its much appreciated.

I didn't mean to imply that is was taken 'at' the funeral, just that I know he was definitely in Dublin at that time as his mother's burial record has his name and full address in England as the person who arranged the funeral.
He was a cattle dealer and may well have been back and forth to Dublin over the years, but the burial record is the only definite record I have that he was there.

Boo

Oh, I wasn't implying it was taken at the funeral either, I was just using that as an example of why it probably could be marked off the checklist of possible locations. The tie pin and and boutonniere William is wearing suggests a special event for him. College graduation perhaps? Wedding possibly as well.

Also, what was Williams' last name again?

I just like to do photo restores.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 18 21:31 BST (UK) »

Oh, I wasn't implying it was taken at the funeral either, I was just using that as an example of why it probably could be marked off the checklist of possible locations. The tie pin and and boutonniere William is wearing suggests a special event for him. College graduation perhaps? Wedding possibly as well.

Also, what was Williams' last name again?

College Graduation?  Oh, though certainly not intentionally, you just made me splutter my coffee with laughing!
I did say the family weren't well off, maybe I should have said they 'just about' managed to pay the rent and feed their children.
It would be three generations down from these boys before any children would leave school later than the  age of fourteen :-)

His mother was buried on 12th March, my first thought about the buttoniere was that it was shamrock and he'd stayed in Dublin long enough to take part in the St Patrick's Day celebrations.

Boo

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
The way they are dressed they wouldn't look out of place in the 1880's especially the 2 on the outside.
However there are elements from later decades.
The obvious one is the cane table. The 1890's saw an interest in anything oriental & photographers were soon using these as props so that brings it forward a decade.
The vague background which is supposed to be a cloudy sky saw the end of the elaborate scenes of the 80's & 90's & was pretty much the norm in the early 1900's. The cardstock is also early 1900's.
So sometime during that decade.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
wow so much knowledge!

Thank you very much for that. I suppose its hard to tell by clothing alone as (especially the not well off) they could have either kept their clothes for years or bought second hand anyway.
The info about the photographers props was interesting and I do have some photos (from a different family) taken in the 1880s-1890s (handily dated on the back) which did have quite elaborate scenes in the background.

I didn't get further than ooooh that's William and his brothers, how wonderful to put a face to a name I have spent years finding out about :-)

thanks again

Boo