Author Topic: Edward CAMPTON  (Read 998 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward CAMPTON
« on: Monday 27 August 18 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to trace a Edward CAMPTON who married Ann KIMBERLEY 26 Dec 1819 Holy Trinity, Coventry.

He and his wife had 9 children that I know of.

According to the various census's he was from Foleshill, Warwickshire c1787.

So far I have had no luck in finding him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Edward CAMPTON
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 01:37 BST (UK) »
familysearch has a baptism for Edward COMPTON, 5 Aug 1787 in Alveston, Warwickshire, parents William and Hannah.

Might this be him?

Philip

(ADDED - Alveston is near Stratford upon Avon, about 20 miles from Coventry/Foleshill)
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
According to his marriage record in 1819, he was a widower, one of the witnesses was Mary Campton.

Edward Camptin of the parish of ? Trinity, Coventry married Mary Cartwright otp.
18 Apr 1808 Hampton in Arden, Warwickshire. Thomas Camptin was a witness, all signed X.

Mary Campton   Age 30  (1786)   Burial 31 Dec 1816   Coventry, St Michael

Moses Campton   Age 3 months 1817   Burial 29 May 1817   Coventry, St Michael

Two baptisms, abode for both Far Gosford St.

Thomas Campton   20 Dec 1814   Coventry, Holy Trinity   Edward (Weaver) Mary

Thomas Campton   29 Oct 1820   Coventry, Holy Trinity   Edward, (Cordwainer) Ann

There is a picture of an open book on A…ty which details Edwards life and marriages, it states that he was born c1783 Foleshill.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 04:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the help.

I didn't know about his previous marriage so that is really useful.

I've tried hunting for all the Edward Campton/Camptin/Compton etc for between 1780 and 1790 and there are none for Foleshill.

Alverston does seem more likely.

Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 18 04:05 BST (UK) »
Having finally looked into Alveston I don't think this could be him as Alveston is quite some distance from Foleshill or Coventry and he did state on the census that he was from Foleshill so I'm sure he must come from somewhere around that place.

So far no luck in finding any Camptons born in Foleshill so looks like his baptism took place there.  I went through every Edward I could find just in case the last name had been written down in some weird spelling that I hadn't thought of but no - they are no Edward Campton/Camptin/Compton or anything remotely similar

For now at least it is still a brick wall

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure if the following will help?

Warwickshire Marriages:

William Campton    Both otp   3 Oct 1780   Alveston   Hannah Miles
Alice 23 Sep 1782, John 20 Feb 1785, Edward Compton 5 Aug 1787, an Edward Compton was buried there 13 Jan 1795 no detail. Both William & Hannah died there 1831 & 1827 respectively.

The only two males, at Foleshill, in the period or mabe the same person. There were other female marriages in Foleshill.
Thomas Campton    Both otp   25 Nov 1772   Foleshill, St Laurence   Susannah Taylor
No birth records in Warks but one burial on Freereg & A….y Mary 8 Dec 1778

Thomas Compton    Both otp   11 Jan 1770   Foleshill, St Laurence   Grace Warwick
No record of children in Warks

The Warwickshire parish records are on A,,,,,y, Foleshill births and deaths prior to 1780 are quite difficult to read and often faded but after 1780 they are quite clear, I checked 1780 – 1790 and as far as I could see no records for Compton. It might just be that they never had their children baptised?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Barry Campton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Fred
Edward is my ggggrandfather. I will get the info I have and get it to you. You are on the right track but there is a twist in it as he was married twice. I am still trying to sort out the progeny from both marriages
Regards Barry Campton