Author Topic: Where was R C W SELBY-LOWNDES from 1892 to 1917?  (Read 3681 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Where was R C W SELBY-LOWNDES from 1892 to 1917?
« on: Monday 27 August 18 01:05 BST (UK) »
Honestly, you would think that a name like Richard Cecil William SELBY-LOWNDES would be easy to track - but I've lost him!

WHAT I KNOW:
Born 7 Oct 1873, baptised 10 Nov 1873 St Saviour Claremont, Cape, South Africa
Father Richard William SELBY LOWNDES, colonial civil service
Mother Elizabeth Frances (nee HOWARD)
1881 Census - age 7 with mother on the Isle of Wight
1891 Census - age 17 with mother and 3 siblings on the Isle of Wight.
1898 mother died on Isle of Wight age 49.
1911-1913 Father on electoral rolls in "Elmers", Bletchley, Buckinghamshire
1914 father dies in Newport Pagnell Reg. Dist. (covers Bletchley) age 65
Medal Index Card - VM & BWM.  Theatre: France; date of entry 7-5-17
1918 Lieut R C W SELBY-LOWNDES (Army Service Corps)  dies in Wandsworth age 44.

I've tried searching SELBY-LOWNDES, LOWNDES and SELBY (with spelling variants) but I can't find him!  I don't know where he was, or if he married, or what he did before he joined the Army.

A search of the London Gazette provided several relatives, but not my man.  FindMyPest and FamilySearch haven't produced anything more on him.

Does anyone have any bright ideas, please?

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Where was R C W SELBY-LOWNDES from 1892 to 1917?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 01:50 BST (UK) »
 :)

Not sure if these are for your chap, but just in case... I have typed up a couple of extracts from newspaper cuttings...  :)

:)  Whilst out with the Whaddon Chase hounds yesterday afternoon Mr Wm. Selby Lowndes .... horse jumped into the bough .... he was taken in Lord Orkney's motor to the Bell Hotel, Winslow .... no bones broken, ... in the evening to his home at Whaddon.  Western Daily Press March 16, 1910, p. 10.

:)  :)  Mr Richard M W Selby Lowndes has become joint master and huntsman of the North Bucks. Harriers with his father in law (Colonel Duncan of Shenley Park).  As his three brothers are already masters of foxhounds, the Whaddon Chase, East Kent and Burstow packs – this forms a unique instance of four brothers being master of hounds at the same time.   Nottingham Evening Post July 5, 1912, p. 8.

:)  :) Lady French, who has followed the British commander to France .... is a sister of Mr Richard William Selby-Lowndes of Elmers....  Aberdeen Daily Journal  August 22, 1914  p. 4.

Fingers crossed these are of help.   Gale Newspapers are readily available to residents of Australia who have readers cards for the National Library of Australia, or for their various State Public Libraries.  E-resources https://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/item/4314

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 03:35 BST (UK) »
Not sure if these are for your chap, but just in case... I have typed up a couple of extracts from newspaper cuttings...  :)

Many thanks for your response.  Unfortunately - these aren't my man.

This man is tricky - he is Richard Cecil William, his father was Richard William and his cousin is Richard M William!  It looks like an interesting family to research - but at the moment I'm just trying to put together a brief biography of Richard Cecil William for the local War Memorial.  It's those missing years between 1892-1917 that have me stumped.  I'm wondering if he went abroad?

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 03:55 BST (UK) »
Not exactly what you are looking for but does explain how the name Selby-Lownes  started.

https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1790-1820/member/lowndes-(afterwards-selby-lowndes-)-william-1767-1840

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
He served in the 2nd Boer War, 1899 - 1902.
Mashonaland Squadron, Rhodesian Regiment.

Given the address, might this be him
Northampton Mercury, 29 Dec 1899
THE BUCKS HUSSARS MORE SIGNATURES
Those who have signed the register may now expect at any moment notice calling on them to attend at the nearest squadron headquarters for medical examination and attestation. William Selby Lowndes, jun., Bletchley, … and H. Tennant and C. Leighton of Winslow are amongst the recent signatures.

http://www.winslow-history.org.uk/twentiethc-boerwar.shtm

Departed for England 4 June 1902 on the Roslin Castle. It appears he was an 'invalid'.
S A Irregular Mounted Forces – Lieutenant R C W Selby Lowndes
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mlt/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Philp...

We had fun with this family as well......Whaddon and Shenley.

I've played with the names and googled variations....... on geni web site they have a marriage to Jennie nee Martin. However I cannot follow her or find it. Most likely South Africa
His brother Geoffrey is listed as probate and states Richard of Strydfontein Kroomstad a lieutenant in Cape auxiliary horse transport.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
Having just said that...
Mrs J E Selby Lowndes arrived 4 September 1919 from Cape Town at Plymouth on board Cap Polonio.
Her birth date as 1877.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
Bucks Herald of 3 August 1918:

Lieut. Richard Cecil William Selby Lowndes, who has died at the age of 44 from septic poisoning contracted on active service, was the eldest son of the late Mr. Richard William Selby-Lowndes of Elmers, Bletchley.  He served with the British South African Police in the Matabele revolt of 1896, for which he received the B.S.A Company's Rhodesian medal and in the Boer War with the Rhodesian Regiment Frontier Force and for the last year and a half of that war acted as galloper to Viscount French, receiving the Queen's and the King's medals with five clasps.  In the present war he was appointed lieutenant in the A.S.C. (South African Auxiliary Horse Transport), serving in France from June, 1917.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Could R.C.W. have been referred to as simply Cecil, or was there another sibling with the name Cecil or is the following from the Buckingham Advertiser and Free Press of 9 December 1922 just a co-incidence of names?

A marriage has been arranged, and will take place in January, between Captain W.D. Lidderdale, M.C., Dorset Imperial Yeomanry, of Pinford Farm, Sherborne, son of the late Right Hon. W. Lidderdale, and Jane, widow of Cecil Selby Lowndes, son of the late R.W. Selby Lowndes, of Elmers, Bletchley, Bucks, and daughter of the late David Martin of Leacain, Rostrevor, Co. Down.

Edited to add: There is also the following reference in the same publication on 13 November 1920:

A stained glass window has been placed in St. Mary's Church, Old Bletchley, in memory of the late Mr. Richard Selby Lowndes and his son, Lieutenant Cecil Selby Lowndes, who died during the war.  The subject of the window is Our Lord offering the crown of victory to a kneeling figure, and on either side are angels.