Author Topic: John Westbury, was born in Gloucestershire, England 1824. Before emigrating to  (Read 7361 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Westbury, was born in Gloucestershire, England 1824. Before emigrating to
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Ah well,
Perhaps Grahame will tell us his thinking ;D

Easy to get led offtrack with complicated families.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SteveHayward1962

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Westbury, was born in Gloucestershire, England 1824. Before emigrating to
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
im not quite sure where  another partner for Hannah came from.

Offline GWestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SteveHayward1962
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the kind words of support, my Dad, Harold Westbury really did it hard when his Dad, John Westbury died young at aged 60 in 1936, The Great Depression was on and they were turfed out of their family home in Lidcombe in Western Sydney, my dad was the youngest, he had an older brother, Percy, who died at aged 16 years in 1920 of Spanish Flu. There were two older sisters, Daphne and Ethel Westbury, both were married and Daphne and her husband, who also had a son, took my dad and his mother into their two bedroom home in Enfield in 1936.  My dad married in 1942 and his mother died at place sisters home in 1953. Can I get your email address, so we do not need to put it on the open Roots Chat Forum?
I live in Tumbi Umbi, I am married with two sons and am retired - and as a coincidence, my birthday and Hannah's are the same just 90 years apart.
Cheers Grahame

Offline SteveHayward1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Grahame
My email is

Regards Steve

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has the official transcription or NSW BDM  cert for the birth of any of the following registrations in the surname WESTBURY:

William, in 1880  #25343
Eliza Cassandra in 1884  #32439
Elizabeth in 1886 #34569
Sarah A in 1889  #34859
Robert A in 1891  #34516

I am particularly wondering if the document/s give clues about the children born prior to Hannah's marriage ...  You see, the registration process was informant driven, so likely either Hannah or John went along to register the births (ministers registered marriages, funeral directors registered the deaths, but the births ... agh ... family members usually did this task)...

So perhaps by the time Robert's birth was registered, and the question came to naming the older living siblings .... well perhaps the names include the ones born before the marriage .... while it will not be conclusive 'proof' either way,  if the informant (named on the b.c.) was John born in Gloucestershire, and HE named those older lads ....

Just a speculative thought ... :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
The moderators will remove your email address as it is not permitted.
It is to protect you from unwanted spam type intrusions.
Remove it yourself by using the MODIFY button at the top of your post when logged in.

Grahame,
Can you address the question I have asked re second marriage for Hannah?
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, and Yes

:)  :)  both on Sue's question re Hannah and removing email

RChat has a Private Message facility. 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=327529.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline GWestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sparrett
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, Don't know what to think or how to move forward. These revelations by Steve have really thrown me and I am unsure what to now search for.
The Legal Notice in the Newspaper indicated that John Westbury died intestate, so John left no Will and that his estate was left to his widow, Hannah Westbury.  Now John owned 130 acre property which he purchased from the crown in 1869.  That must have had some value and John & James must have been some help??  I haven't found any evidence that Hannah Westbury married again and apparently the children were stated as Richard 15 ,William 13 ,Thomas 10,Eliza 9,Elizabeth 7,Sarah 4 and Robert 3 at the time of John's death in 1894, James and John were not mentioned, but he died without a Will? Their sons and daughters were apparently those making the claims.
Cheers Grahame

Cheers Grahame

Offline GWestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SteveHayward1962
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Steve, Sorry mate, if I got you into trouble, I was aware I should place email/phones in public space but I thought maybe when they send me Roots Chat email?
Cheers Grahame