Author Topic: Louis X1V ?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Hukanui76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Louis X1V ?
« on: Monday 27 August 18 04:11 BST (UK) »
In the 1780s to his death was Louis X1V  also had title of Prince of Orange?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Louis X1V ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 04:31 BST (UK) »
I thought Louis XIV died in 1715 ...

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Louis-XIV-king-of-France

In the 1780s to his death was Louis X1V  also had title of Prince of Orange?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 04:36 BST (UK) »
treaty of utrecht 1713.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Hukanui76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 04:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you, trying to find our why Jean Bart. De Ridder would have been a surgeon in the Prince of Orange Regiment in the 1780s although no record in military archives in Paris of such a regiment. Think will be a never ending case trying to find out JBs date of death whilst in the regiment.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 06:55 BST (UK) »
1780s  .... could it be a British regiment perhaps trying to retain her colonies in North America ... :)

Google says : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35th_(Royal_Sussex)_Regiment_of_Foot

Book : British Army Uniforms of the American Revolution 1751-1783  :
1701 Belfast Regiment of Foot then renamed in 1747 as 35th Regiment of Foot, then renamed in 1774 Prince of Orange's own Regiment, so in 1782 it became 35th or Dorsetshire Regiment of Foot, and not till 1804 did it get another new name...

Fingers crossed

JM

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 18 07:18 BST (UK) »
"Willem V, Prins van Oranje" was very much a Dutch Prince. Around 1887 (sorry a typo, of course this should be 1787) his opponents aka "The Patriots"  fled to the area around Omer where they were supported by the French king Louis XVI.
So if Jean had been in some sort of service to the Dutch prince, it would not have been in that area.  (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_V,_Prince_of_Orange )

It is possible that Jean joined an Orange regiment during the Flanders Campaign 1792-1795?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders_Campaign

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 18 07:42 BST (UK) »
Something is not making good sense.... some confusion over dates ...

A doctor in a Regiment in the 1880s cannot be part of Louis XIV era...  simply not possible, and nor can he be alive in the 1880s if alive in 1769. 

:) earlier threads: 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799081.0
Earlier topic with more details- thread is 7 pages long so I didn't read it all!
Jean Bartholomeu de Ridder born in Dunkirk 1742 became Bailly of Renescure, ?died helping defend members of the Royal family about 1791.   Records show that he was "puis chirurgien major attache a l'ambulance du Prince d'Orange"?  My cousin is trying to find record confirming the latter post and also if possible details of his death.   One of his sons joined the Napoleonic Navy, and was captured by the British in 1805.   He lived out his life in Bristol, England and in turn one of his grandsons emigrated to New Zealand.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=791262.0   
What 's certain is that Jean Bartélémy De Ridder was 27 in 1769 , was a surgeon , married Catherine Heems 5 april 1769 in Noordpeene, nowadays in the département du Nord, France. The only members of his family attending the wedding are : Jean Marie Roelo ?(not certain ), brother par alliance = half brother and a Vice curate who signs De Ridder , at the end of the marriage act.
It means that his mother married at least twice.
What is also certain is that no sign of nobility appears in the act, and no sign of not being a catholic.
He signs De Ridder Chirurgien on the act.

JM

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 18 08:22 BST (UK) »
Let's be clear : Jean Barthélémy lived under the reign of LOUIS XVI (=16), the one one was king at the beginning of the French Revolution

"Louis XVI, né le 23 août 1754 à Versailles et mort le 21 janvier 1793 à Paris, est le dernier roi de France de la période dite de l'Ancien Régime. Il est roi de France et de Navarre de 1774 à 1789 puis roi des Français de 1789 à 1792. Wikipédia
Date et lieu de naissance : 23 août 1754, Château de Versailles, Versailles
Date et lieu de décès : 21 janvier 1793, Place de la Concorde, Paris.
Wikipedia"

In order to know who was the prince of Orange mentionned , in the army of which JB is "supposed" to have been a surgeon  there are  only 2 possibilities (at least , it is what I think) : William V" or William VI (who became William 1st , king of the Netherland)
Have a look here, and pay attention to the dates :
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maison_d%27Orange-Nassau

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 18 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks joger,  it is very confusing when the topic is headed Louis XIV,

JM