Author Topic: Louis X1V ?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Louis X1V ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 August 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
"Willem V, Prins van Oranje" was very much a Dutch Prince. Around 1887 his opponents aka "The Patriots"  fled to the area around Omer where they were supported by the French king Louis XVI.
So if Jean had been in some sort of service to the Dutch prince, it would not have been in that area.  (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_V,_Prince_of_Orange )

It is possible that Jean joined an Orange regiment during the Flanders Campaign 1792-1795?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders_Campaign

Mention of 1887 .... confused me too

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 August 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
Yes , that's why I sent my late post. Hope it is clearer now for anyone  following the discussion.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 August 18 09:37 BST (UK) »

Sorry for the typo ...  :-[

Offline Hukanui76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 01:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry my mistake, should have said Louis XV1.  The info comes from several trees on the Geneanet website including one of a well known historian it states
"Jean-Barthelemy de Ridder23.8.1742Cassel St Nicholas+av1817 bailly de Renescure puis chirurgien major attache a l'ambulance du prince d'Orange alias Chirurgien major du prince d'Orange decede a l'armee"
Not sure about the 1817 bit as he was meant to have died 1791/2 for which no record can be found.

Heather

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
Av1817 means avant 1817 ( before 1817) Because the death is mentionned in Desire's marriage act in 1817.
All we can say is that he died after the conception of his last child ( 1787 , if the last child is Desiré ) and the marriage of Désiré (1817)

Added: William V having fled to England in 1795 , we may presume that JB died before 

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
Is it me or do things seem a bit fishy: JB de Ridder is first a “bailli”, a Judiciary Officer representing the authority of the French King (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailli ). And then all of a sudden, he is a “chirurgien major” and is in service to a foreign leader who supposedly came to Omer, but in reality never did.

I'd love to see the proof of this background story, because guess who is still a “bailli” in 1789 and included on a very long list of delegates:

Liste des délégués
Choisis par les Villes, Bourgs, Paroisses et Communautés de campagne ayant un role séparé de contribution, pour représenter ‘’Ordre du Tiers-État de la Flandre Maritime à l’Assemblée Bailliagère, du 30 mars 1789, à Bailleul
-
Nombre des Feus: 330
NOMS des villes, bourgs et communautés: Rensescure (Paroisse et Seigneurie)
Nombre des Députés: 4
NOM, PRÉNOMS, etc des Députés: Jean-Barthelémi DE RIDDER, Bailli
(Note: incl 3 other persons)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately it turns out that this was already given before: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=791262.18.

I'm not sure how you can still accept that he could have become a major surgeon at his age and within such a short time frame ...   

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
A " chirurgien major" in French is a surgeon in the army.
It does not mean senior

Many infos are on the first topic you found.
JB was a surgeon, then a bailli , and finally practised again as a surgeon in a foreign army ( foreign for a Frenchman).He was clearly a royalist , not a "revolutionnaire". Mind you , there is no proof of this, it is written in the marriage act of Désiré without any proof .

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Is it me or do things seem a bit fishy: JB de Ridder is first a “bailli”, a Judiciary Officer representing the authority of the French King (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailli ). And then all of a sudden, he is a “chirurgien major” and is in service to a foreign leader who supposedly came to Omer, but in reality never did.

JB did not come "all of a sudden " a surgeon in the army of the Prince of Orange ( presumably William V), there were historical facts ( and I think it was the death of Louis XVI) that led him to enroll in the army which fighted against the Revolution.

I agree with you when you say that the prince of Orange of that time did not come in St-Omer.
It was a former Prince of Orange who did , a century before , he fought at the battle of Cassel, also known as battle of La Peene, 1677, I think