Author Topic: Newton Heath Christening  (Read 580 times)

Online ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
Newton Heath Christening
« on: Monday 27 August 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
I have a christening at All Saints Newton Heath, 14th Jan 1821 of Elizabeth Howarth.

The image shows 'Chapelry of Newton' and 'Abode' as Droylsden.

On FS there are 2 entries. One shows 'Christening Place' as 'Manchester, Openshaw'.

Does anyone know or have any suggestions as to where they got the 'Openshaw' bit from?

Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Newton Heath Christening
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
Lancs OPC
gives the baptism
All Saints Newton Heath
14th Jan 1821
Elizabeth Howarth
father William
Mother Elizabeth
abode Droylsden
fathers occupation lock keeper,
did Dad move up and down the river/canal ?
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
is it a submitted entry on Family search
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:09 BST (UK) »

Does anyone know or have any suggestions as to where they got the 'Openshaw' bit from?

Eric.

The Film appears to cover Openshaw.  Probably a wrong transcription, something you have to be aware of with familysearch transcripts where films cover more than one parish

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/367510?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Locality Subjects
England, Lancashire, Newton (near Manchester) - Church records England, Lancashire, Manchester - Church records England, Lancashire, Openshaw - Church records England, Lancashire, Birch (near Manchester) - Church records
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
Genuki
The current church was erected in 1814,under an act of parliment.
At this time the district of the chapelry changed and included Newton Heath,Failsworth,Droylsden,Bradford and parts of Moston.This continued untill the the passing of the rectorial act when these places were seperated and became parishes

Online ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
Lancs OPC is the same as the Register Image.

I did wonder if they travelled a bit. I'm not sure if they are even the parents I'm looking for. I have a William with same name parents, who was supposedly living in Droylsden when he was christened in 1818, but that was at the Cathedral. His father was a Carter and may have been a Carter in 1841, in Ancoats. I'm trying to make some connections.

As for Openshaw. I didn't think there was a Church/Chapel there at that time. Interestingly though, one line I'm working on, has a connection to Openshaw.

Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent