Author Topic: Ashforth family, Sheffield  (Read 2027 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Ashforth family, Sheffield
« on: Monday 27 August 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

After a long break from research, I've decided to start my search again for the ancestors of Abraham Ashforth, baptised September 1802 at Cathedral St Peter in Sheffield, son of John Ashforth (labourer, later said to be a Mason,  and a fettler) and Hannah. I thought starting afresh would be the best way to do this.

I have never found the marriage of John and Hannah. There is one at Rotherham, John Ashforth and Hannah Heaton, although they baptised their children elsewhere, so it would be strange for them to baptise only one child at Sheffield.

I have been working on the basis that 'Abraham' is a name passed down through the family. It's a rare name in my research, so decided to try this out.
I've found several Abraham Ashforth's in Sheffield, and have been putting little family trees together to see if they are linked to my Abraham.
I've attached two photos to show the family tree I've got so far.

I believe Thomas Ashforth, bap 5 Nov 1743 at Attercliffe (son of Joseph Ashforth), could be the grandfather of my Abraham. Thomas seems to have had a son called John, bap 01/05/1771 at Cathedral St Peter in Sheffield. This John could be the father of Abraham.

But the research is all based on it 'could be'. I could really use some help making links between these people, as all I have at the moment is a family name and some dates that seem to fit.

I've attached the two photos below. The first is the family tree I'm working with. The second is an additional Ashforth family in Sheffield with some Abraham's, who I suspect could be related to the other tree above it.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer,
Holly

Added: I can't seem to add any photos at the moment, but will describe the family trees below until it is possible to add photos.
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ashforth family, Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Main family tree:

Joseph Ashforth (mason) married Hannah Jackson, on 12 February 1737 at Cathedral St Peter, Sheffield.
They had at least the following children:

- Fanny, baptised 29 Aug 1754 at Attercliffe
- Sarah, baptised 01/01/1761 Attercliffe
- Samuel, baptised 08/08/1751 Attercliffe
- Bullus/Bullhouse (could this be a maiden name of an ancestor?), baptised 04/10/1758 Attercliffe. He married Sarah Baker on 11th Mar 1785 at Sheffield, and had children James (bap 1793), Joseph (bap 1785), John (bap 1790) and Ann (bap 1788).
- Abraham, baptised 30/10/1748 Attercliffe. He married Elizabeth Sutton on 6 September 1797 Sheffield, had children Hannah, Bullhouse, Samuel, Joseph and Elizabeth).
- Rachel (bap Jan 1757) Attercliffe.
- William (bap 23/07/1747) Attercliffe
- Thomas (bap 5/11/1743) Attercliffe. This is the Thomas that I think may be the father of John, and the grandfather of Abraham.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other family tree containing Abraham's that I suspect could be related is:

John Ashforth (Ashford on record), father of Joshua, Jacob, Jonathan and Abraham. Abraham is baptised 10/03/1675 at St Peter Sheffield, believe this was 'Ashford' too.

Abraham had at least these children:
- John bap 28/04/1708 Sheffield
- Robert bap 16/10/1709 Sheffield
- Anne bap 26/01/1713 Sheffield
- Abraham bap 27/03/1715 Sheffield. He married Martha Hoole, on 19/08/1737 at Sheffield, they had at least two children: Sarah (bap 25/11/1743) and Elizabeth (bap 01/01/1741).
- Elizabeth bap 29/04/1711 at Sheffield.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Pipcooper

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 February 20 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Would you know if this family is related to the Ashforth from late 1800s Frederick Ashforth of Rock road Sheffield who was a builder, thank you

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 20 17:59 BST (UK) »
Would you know if this family is related to the Ashforth from late 1800s Frederick Ashforth of Rock road Sheffield who was a builder, thank you

I am sorry, I have never come across a Frederick Ashforth in my family tree, although my Ashforth's did originate from Sheffield, and moved to Chapeltown and Burncross.

Offline Gehenna1955

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, just signed up after coming across a random google thing that brought up Ashforth/Sheffield and all those with things in common. So, full name is John Stuart Ashforth (I go by Stu, John never used even by my parents)
I was born July 15, 1955 in the Sheffield Royal Infirmary. I’m a now retired high school teacher in Drayton Valley, Alberta. I have a brother, Robert Alastair Ashforth, born Dec 31, 1959 in the same hospital. He’s a radiologist in Edmonton.
My father was a practicing physician, Dr.Ian Ashforth.  He was born in February 1928, graduated from University of Sheffield Medical School in 1951-52. Emigrated to Alberta, Canada in fall of 1963. Worked as Medical Officer of Health for the Alberta Govt until his untimely death in 1983. Was only 55. He was the only child of Edgar Ashforth, his father, born 1898, worked in import/export office of Brown Baileys Steel. Served in both world wars, have a service medal with his name from the 7th Royal Lancashire Rifles. I believe he was an NCO, lance corporal or sergeant. Don’t know where he served, he’d have been 16 at start of the war, 20 at end.  He married Mary Daisly at end of WW1. He was in the home guard in WW2. Apparently I was named after an Ashforth killed as part of a bomber crew shot down in WW2. That’s all I know about that, for some reason I was never told who, why, name, circumstances, etc.
Edgar was an only child, like his son.  Lived at 107 Vickers Road, Sheffield 5. Dunno if they use that designation now. Victorian house, right next to Firth Park is still there.
To add to the continuing list of Ashforth’s out there, I have two kids, Ethan Ashforth (25, ex armed forces) and my daughter Wednesday Ashforth, 19 years old, graduated last year. My brother Rob Ashforth has two kids, Chris Ashforth and Mark Ashforth, 28 and 24, respectively. And as far as I know,  that’s the sum total of Sheffield/Ashforth heritage in Western Canada.
Hope this helps some with info, please feel free to reply.Thx!