Author Topic: Will of Anthony Aylmer 1518  (Read 2675 times)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of Anthony Aylmer 1518
« on: Tuesday 28 August 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
Continuing my attempts to map out the different lines of Aylmers in the 1500's :)

This is another super-short will, even shorter than the last one.

It is found on Ancestry :)

If anyone feels like having a go at it, I would be deeply grateful!

Thank you so much in advance  :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Antony Aylmer 1518
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
In Latin this time Willow.
Seems to be a  lot of 'lego' mentioned !  :D ..................
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Anthony Aylmer 1518
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
It really is a translation this time then! :) :D :)

Perhaps he had been to the park in Denmark and brought a lot home with him? :D ;D :D

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
Test(amentu)m mag(ist)ri
Antonij Aylmer

In dei nomine amen undecimo die mensis Julij Anno D(omi)nj Mill(es)imo quingentesimo

decimo octavo  Ego Antonius Aylmer Rector eccl(es)ie parochialis de Seggefield in Ep(iscop)atu Dunelm’ Vicarius q(ue) eccl(es)ie

parochialis de Harlowe in Com(itatu) Essex’ London’ dioc(esi) compos mentis et in bona mea memoria existen(s) Condo facio

et ordino presens testamentum meum in hunc qui sequitur modum  In primis lego & recom(m)endo a(n)i(m)am meam

deo om(n)ipotenti creatori meo beate q(ue) virgini eius genitrici et om(n)ibus sanct(is) Corpus q(ue) meum sepeliend(um) in Cancella

mea in eccl(es)ie de Harlowe predict(o)  Item lego fabrice navis eccl(es)ie Cathedral(is) Sancti Pauli London’ Viginti denari(os)

Item lego Mag(ist)ro Alexandro de Saltue(?) Cl(er)ico meam optimam Togam, eo q(uo)d ip(s)e pre deo anima mea exoret

Residuu(m) vero om(n)i(um) & singulorum bonorum et Catallor(um) meorum mobiliu(m) & Immobiliu(m) ubicumq(ue) existen(tium) post

debita mea solut(a) custus q(ue) et exspens(as) funerales meas fact(as) do & lego integre dilecto patri meo Laurencio ...

(in the margin) The will of Master Anthony Aylmer
In the name of God Amen, the eleventh day of the month of July in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred and eighteen. I, Anthony Aylmer, rector of the parish church of Sedgefield in the bishopric of Durham, and vicar of the parish church of Harlow in the county of Essex in the diocese of London, do establish, make and ordain my present will in the following way.  First, I leave and entrust my soul to Almighty God my creator, and to the blessed Virgin his mother, and to all the saints, and my body to be buried in the chancel of my church at Harlow aforesaid. Item, I leave to the fabric of the nave of the Cathedral Church of St Paul in London twenty pence. Item, I leave to Master Alexander de Saltue(?), clerk, my best robe, so that he may intercede before God for my soul. As for the rest of all and singular my goods and chattels, moveable and immoveable, wheresoever they be, after my debts have been paid and the costs and expenses of my funeral settled, I give and bequeath them entirely to my beloved father Laurence ...

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you so so so much, Bookbox!!! :) :-* :) This is absolutely brilliant! Utterly wonderful work!!! :) :) :)

This one has the decency at least to clearly state how he is related to people for our benefit, lololol *g*

There was a Laurence Aylmer, draper, who was alderman and sheriff of London, and Mayor of London in 1507. According to John Strype he was the son of Thomas Aylmer of Ellesnam in Essex, a neighbouring county to Norfolk.

He was married twice, the second time to Juliana Bretton, daughter of Thomas Bretton and his wife Agnes. "His first wife was another city orphan, Margery, daughter of John Langrige, draper". And he had a least one child, a daughter Alice, married Cobbe.

This might be the same family.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Aylmer-69
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Aylmer-68

Thank you so much again, Bookbox!!! You help is absolutely invaluable :) :D :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
... Aylmer militi ac Aldermanno Civitatis London’ et Thome Aylmer gentilman Avunculo meo Ad(...) faciend’

et distribuend’* pro salute a(n)i(m)e mee prout eis melius videbitur expedire Quosquid(e)m Laurenciu(m) et Thomam

facio ordino & constituo Executores huius present(is) testamenti mei  Hijs testib(us) preno(m)i(n)ato Alexandro de

Saltue(?) D(omi)no Yvone Whetston Capellano Joh(ann)e Wright & Thoma ffynche ac alijs multis ib(ide)m astantib(us)

... Aylmer, knight, and Alderman of the City of London, and Thomas Aylmer, gentleman, my uncle, asking them to attend to and arrange (matters) as will seem best to them for the well-being of my soul; and these very men, Laurence and Thomas, I do make, ordain and constitute the executors of this my present will. These being witnesses – the aforenamed Alexander de Saltue(?), Master Yvone Whetston, chaplain, John Wright and Thomas Finche, and many others being present in the same place.

* - I’m unsure of the syntax here, but the sense is clear

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Probatum fuit testamentum suprascripti defuncti h(ab)ent(is) &c. Coram d(omi)no apud Lamehith’

xxvjo die mensis Augusti Anno D(omi)ni Mill(es)imo quingentesimo xviijo Juramento Laurencij Aylemere executoris

in hu(ius)mo(d)i testamento no(m)i(n)ati  Ac approbatum & insinuatu(m)  Et com(m)issa fuit adm(ini)stracio om(n)i(um) bonor(um) et debitoru(m) d(i)c(t)i defuncti p(re)fat(o)

Executori De bene & fidel(ite)r adm(ini)strand(o)  Ac de pleno & fideli In(venta)rio citra festum Om(n)i(um) S(an)c(t)orum prox(imum) futur(um) exhi(bendo)  Necnon

de plano & vero compoto reddend(o)  Ad s(an)c(t)a dei ev(a)ng(elia) Jurat(o)  Res(er)vat(a) potestate &c alteri executori cum ven(er)it &c.

The will of the above-written deceased, having etc. (sufficient estate within the jurisdiction of this court), was proved before the lord at Lambeth on the 26th day of the month of August in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred and eighteen, by the oath of Laurence Aylmer, the executor named in this will; and it was approved and inserted (in the register); and administration of the goods and debts of the said deceased was granted to the aforesaid executor to well and faithfully administer; and to present a complete and faithful inventory before the Feast of All Saints next to come; and also to submit a plain and true account; sworn on the Holy Gospels of God; power reserved etc. to the other executor when he shall come etc.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 19:10 BST (UK) »
!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I do believe we have bingo :) :D :)

Thank you so much, Bookbox!!! This was outstanding!!! :) :-* :)

I am so incredibly impressed :) :) :)

I think we now have the clearest line of Aylmers yet!

Thomas Aylmer of Ellesnam in Essex was the father of Thomas Aylmer, gentleman, and father of the Sir Laurence Aylmer who was knighted at Blackheath in 1497 and who was Alderman and Draper of London from 1504 until 1524, Sheriff of London in 1502, and finally Mayor of London in 1508.

Sir Lawrence married firstly Margery, daughter of John Langrige, draper, and secondly Juliana Bretton, daughter of Thomas Bretton and his wife Agnes.

Sir Lawrence (still alive in 1531) had at least two children, Alice (still alive in 1538), the wife of Geoffrey Cobbe (d.1538), and Anthony (d.1518), rector of the parish church of Sedgefield in the bishopric of Durham, and vicar of the parish church of Harlow in the county of Essex in the diocese of London.

Then we have Edmund Aylmer (d. before 1515-8), gentleman, his wife Elizabeth (d. before 1515-8), and their daughters Frances and Anne in Norfolk. Edmund was married before or after Elizabeth to a woman named Johanne, who had a grandson called John Curson.

A Frances Aylmer (d.1540) was a lady of the privy chamber to Princess Mary Tudor .

An Anne Aylmer was mentioned in the will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquis of Dorset in 1530.

John Aylmer, later Bishop of London, was the protégé of Henry Grey, 3rd Marquis of Dorset, and the tutor of his daughter Jane from 1545.

There is also an Irish line of Aylmers to whom Sir Gerald Aylmer belonged to:

The Aylmer family of County Kildare
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.aylmer/14/mb.ashx

There is also a Welsh line of Aylmers:
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/almer-(aylmer)-edward-1516-74-or-later
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Almer

John Aylmer, Bishop of London, is also said to be related to this guy, who was his chaplain:

Richard Vaughan (bishop)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Vaughan_(bishop)

Richard Vaughan is a ninth-great-grandfather of Judy Garland :)

John Aylmer apparently calls him 'cousin' in his will.

Looking over this online pedigree, http://www.wargs.com/family/vaughan.html, I cannot find any obvious link, however, exempt a common ancestor with the Welsh Aylmers in Ithel ab Eunydd. He lived in the 11th century, however, which seems a bit distant :)

Thank you so much again, Bookbox, you are a star!!! I could never thank you enough! :) :D :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 22:46 BST (UK) »

Perhaps he had been to the park in Denmark and brought a lot home with him? :D ;D :D

;D ;D
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs