Author Topic: The pitfalls of DNA testing!  (Read 1793 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The pitfalls of DNA testing!
« on: Tuesday 28 August 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
This article caught my eye, whilst I was googling something else.

https://www.vox.com/2014/9/9/5975653/with-genetic-testing-i-gave-my-parents-the-gift-of-divorce-23andme

He tested himself, found a close unknown match named Thomas, then gave his parents DNA kits for presents. Turns out, father was also closely related to Thomas, ie his son. Thomas was adopted at birth and hoped to find his birth parents - at least he found one of them.

Luckily, nothing like that has ever happened to me, but it is always a possibility to bear in mind!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The pitfalls of DNA testing!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
The article doesn't say if Thomas was conceived before or after the father's marriage. (and that would make all the difference I think)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
That's what I thought, Ruskie.

However, the fact that his parents divorced and nobody is speaking to his Dad makes me think it was after they married.

EastEnders would have some lovely shocks if all of them had DNA testing! Or perhaps they wouldn't be shocked at all.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
A relative has a recent close match 479 centimorgans across 20 dna segments on ancestry.
And no matching names in the matches tree.

We can see where the connection is though from shared matches. Possibly a very unhappy tester.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
A relative has a recent close match 479 centimorgans across 20 dna segments on ancestry.
And no matching names in the matches tree.

We can see where the connection is though from shared matches. Possibly a very unhappy tester.

Or maybe a happy one? Has your relative messaged them at all? Someone here recently documented her adoptive family, I think it was her grandfather, for at least a few generations, giving the adoptive parents a place in her tree. This match of your relative may have done the same, unless it was a tree going back a few hundred years or so.

Whatever, the evidence is there if they wish to pursue it.

Regards Margaret

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
No not made contact. This test means a non paternal event in the testers family, father or grandfather.

Waiting for the tester to make the first move.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 23:33 BST (UK) »
The article doesn't say if Thomas was conceived before or after the father's marriage. (and that would make all the difference I think)

I read another linked article. I think Thomas was pre marriage.
Cowban

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 23:54 BST (UK) »

Oh? Did the father know of Thomas before he married?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 23:56 BST (UK) »

I don't know.
Oh? Did the father know of Thomas before he married?
Cowban