Author Topic: The pitfalls of DNA testing!  (Read 1790 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The pitfalls of DNA testing!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 07:18 BST (UK) »
Is this the other article, Maiden Stone?

https://www.vox.com/2014/9/9/6107039/23andme-ancestry-dna-testing

George 'Doe's' story is quite a way down the article.

It clearly states that Thomas was born before the marriage of George's parents.

'Through the close relative finder program on 23andMe, the family discovered Thomas, a son George's father had conceived and given up for adoption before marrying George's mother. (You can read George's full story here (https://www.vox.com/2014/9/9/5975653/with-genetic-testing-i-gave-my-parents-the-gift-of-divorce-23andme' in this transcript of Vox's conversations with him.)'

Since both articles are from vox.com it would have made sense to include it in the article I first referenced.

So why is nobody speaking to the father? I am at a loss.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 07:31 BST (UK) »
It seems a bit unfair doesn't it Margaret? There must be additional reasons that the family doesn't speak to the father (surely?) - maybe this discovery was the final nail in the coffin?  :-\

I feel sorry for men sometimes (not specifically related to this story) when they discover years later that a past relationship produced a child they knew nothing about ....  :(

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 10:14 BST (UK) »

I feel sorry for men sometimes (not specifically related to this story) when they discover years later that a past relationship produced a child they knew nothing about ....  :(

Think about sperm donors. Imagine DNA testing, you eagerly anticipate your results. On the day, you discover not only one half sibling, but hundreds!

What a can of worms we present day genealogists might be preparing for those in the future.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 12:18 BST (UK) »

Think about sperm donors. Imagine DNA testing, you eagerly anticipate your results. On the day, you discover not only one half sibling, but hundreds!

What a can of worms we present day genealogists might be preparing for those in the future.

Regards Margaret

Yes, I always thought sperm donation had the potential to cause a lot of issues ... and they keep changing the rules I think?. Aren't men who 'donated' years ago with the promise on anonymity these days able to be contacted by their biological children?

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
I feel sorry for the youth of today, not knowing whether they are dating an unknown half-sibling, or even an unknown transgender half-sibling.  These days 'something for the weekend' probably includes DNA test results.

I remember a former school classmate going to Thailand many years ago, wondering how he would  tell if he was chatting up a 'lady-boy'.  It is even more complex these days.  I believe in science and progress, but I'm not sure that it is all progress these days.  And it must be even harder for religious people to accept.

Martin