Author Topic: William Smith b 1891/2 Army record help  (Read 2390 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith b 1891/2 Army record help
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
From the military records point of view, the number 191647 does not relate to a man called Smith either in the RHA, RGA or the King's Royal Rifle Corps in those records that do survive.  I wonder whether the number has been recorded/transcribed correctly? 

A man who is a Bombardier in the RHA in 1916 is unlikely to morph into a Gunner in the RGA in 1918.

Something quite wrong here with the basic info.

I note you have similar replies elsewhere.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
From the military records point of view, the number 191647 does not relate to a man called Smith either in the RHA, RGA or the King's Royal Rifle Corps in those records that do survive.  I wonder whether the number has been recorded/transcribed correctly? 

A man who is a Bombardier in the RHA in 1916 is unlikely to morph into a Gunner in the RGA in 1918.

Something quite wrong here with the basic info.

I note you have similar replies elsewhere.

Hi  yes it does seem strange,  he is a mystery lol,  the details I provided were from the abscent voters role 1918 the inlaws address in East Ham,  the other info ie Bombardier in the RHA
Looks like William is going to remain in hiding lol.  Can’t find anything on 1911 census as don’t know where he was born and lots of Smiths with dad George.

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
Max are you very up on Military records?  If so I will email the photo of the record in the book and Marriage cert if you give me your email,  it’s a headache.

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
Susan, could you give me a reply to the questions that I asked on reply#8 please?

I am particularly interested in who the witnesses were.

Thank you.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 12:50 BST (UK) »
Max are you very up on Military records?  If so I will email the photo of the record in the book and Marriage cert if you give me your email,  it’s a headache.

No need to email anybody, you can attach a snippett on this post of anything you are unsure of (Not the full document) 

As for the marriage  just give us the details as requested by Girl Guide  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
Right so you have his marriage cert.  Some questions:-

1.  What address is shown for William?

2.   What age is William?

3.   Who are the witnesses?

1. 13 winter Ave,  East Ham

2.  William was 24 at marriage in jan 1916

3.  Witness Esther Elizabeth Hodgson and Alice May Wilding, Alice was Williams wife’s sister and I believe the other was a sister in law.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
After seeing the records, nothing to add I'm afraid.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
The details from Absent Voters is quite specific - the number given doesn't pan out but the rest of the details do - 112th AA's, Royal Garrison Artillery (Heavy Siege Unit) went to France on 11th June 1916.

However, from service records that survived the WW2 bombing there is nothing that relates to 'your' William (neither did those for both of my own grandfathers) but, if nothing else, there should be a medal card for him and I can't find anything that fits here either.   Having said that, even if medal card was found it would take you no further forward - the only way you can find out anything further about the man himself is from a service record and clearly this has not survived.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
The details from Absent Voters is quite specific - the number given doesn't pan out but the rest of the details do - 112th AA's, Royal Garrison Artillery (Heavy Siege Unit) went to France on 11th June 1916.

However, from service records that survived the WW2 bombing there is nothing that relates to 'your' William (neither did those for both of my own grandfathers) but, if nothing else, there should be a medal card for him and I can't find anything that fits here either.   Having said that, even if medal card was found it would take you no further forward - the only way you can find out anything further about the man himself is from a service record and clearly this has not survived.

Annette
Thank you Annette,  we try and try to get that one bit of extra information to no avail,  it definitely looks like having to wait to next census if nothing is found there we will prob have to give up 😢