Author Topic: Mary BROTHERS 1862 NSW  (Read 1828 times)

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary BROTHERS 1862 NSW
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 09:05 BST (UK) »
JM thankyou for your time and trouble on this request  :D

I looked on Trove and came across a description of the archives of St. Mary's Catholic Cathedral
 now held by NAA and SAG.  The archives cover the Petersham Cemetery from 1866-1886, a tad
 too late for this burial.  Looking further on Google for 'Petersham Catholic cemetery' - this
 cemetery was opened in May 1865 because the Catholic cemetery in Devonshire Street known
 as Sandhills was full (notes from Catholic archives).

So perhaps the original burial on 27.8.1862 was in Sandhills?

I am not familiar with Sydney so all your links have been a great help ;D

Regards,
Jen.

Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Cook River in the early days of Sydney Town covered a broad district, not just the much smaller locality that many would think of it today.   Similarly, Peterham remains a suburb, but the Sydney Town district from the early days includes Petersham Hills and covered a much larger area... 

I am not sure if the Roman Catholic burials for Cook River Cemetery would mean they were interred at Sandhills (ie Devonshire Street),  but I am keen to find out, so too my rellie.  If no-one else posts confirmation,  we are contacting another family member, - retired NSW BDM officer .. to see if he can enlighten us.  I will post once I know.   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
https://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/urban_growth_in_the_cooks_river_valley

St Annes at Barks Huts   :D

Posting this for a rellie (who should join RChat  ::)  ::) )  to follow up  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
Civil Parish of Petersham is much larger than the suburb of Petersham. 

http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-233833962/view   

Perhaps Eveleigh Railway works resumption ... (lower right of map) 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
.... Mary married Johnson Brothers in 1836.  Mary died in  1862 in Cooks River, Parish of Petersham NSW.  Her death cert. states she was buried 27.8.1862  in the Catholic burial ground. ....

So on the map I gave live link for, you will notice that the Cooks River runs from the left to the right, basically across the lower section of the map of the Parish of Petersham.    As Mary was re-interred in 1901, it seems likely she was one of the many removed due to the large infrastructure for Central Railway, and its works.    So it is possible she was in the Catholic section at Devonshire St,  but the document you have, seems to indicate Cooks River, Parish of Petersham, which should be referring to the locality and its civil parish...    Afterall, Devonshire St Cemetery was NOT in the civil parish of Petersham.    :)    Devonshire St Cemetery is in the civil parish of St Lawrence.   (Fingers crossed I have understood the phone message).

JM

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
JM Thankyou for all your posts, have delayed my reply so I could read their content.  The
     map is particularly helpful thankyou, I note at no. 127 the R.C. cemetery at Lewisham opened
     in 1865.

Interesting point you make that Sandhills cemetery was not in Parish of Petersham
     Will post the relevant parts of the document to make sure I have given the correct details.
     (see my following post)

Added:  Corrected line 4 to Petersham.   
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hello JM,  Here are relevant details from the death cert. transcription.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
Umm...  so from Old Boy NSW retired BDM senior officer ... probably the info is from NSW BDM death registration... 

Cooks River, Parish of Petersham .... is that showing her usual residence

Cemetery ... this is likely under a different heading from Cooks River, Parish of Petersham ... Catholic burial ground ... does NOT have to be in Parish of Petersham, so could be Devonshire St Cemetery... sadly, many of these death registrations from that era do not give sufficient information to absolutely confirm which Catholic burial ground...  but if transferred to La Perouse, then likely she was buried at Devonshire St (Sandhills) Cemetery. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile