Author Topic: When did newspapers start using photos?  (Read 449 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
When did newspapers start using photos?
« on: Wednesday 29 August 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
This seems the most likely section for this query.  Months ago I was helped by Rootschatters who improved an illustration of my g-g-father which had appeared in a newspaper of 1893.  As copied from the paper it looked more like an etching or woodcut, but the paper gave credit to the photographer, probably a son of the subject.
Would the newspaper have had the skills to publish direct from a print at that time?

Ainslie

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: When did newspapers start using photos?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
I found this online - The first photograph published in an American newspaper-- actually a photomechanical reproduction of a photograph--appeared in the Daily Graphic on March 4, 1880. Before that time it was common practice for American editors to enlist artists to sketch and report on news events, from steamboat explosions to the battles of the Civil War. It was not until 1919, with the launching of New York's Illustrated Daily News, that American newspapers began to feature photographs routinely. The lighter cameras and "faster" lenses introduced in the 1920s brought about a revolution in news photography, ushering in the age of photojournalism.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When did newspapers start using photos?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 August 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that.  I suspected that the image had been re-drawn and your info seems to confirm that.
A