Author Topic: scottish results  (Read 815 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
scottish results
« on: Wednesday 29 August 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
I have an awful lot of Scottish family and am proud of it of course.

For YEARS I have been working with Scotlands people to get to know this family.

However Ancestry have decided to offer HINTS as to Census returns and possible matches.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE  if you do pick up these hints CHECK them out with Scotlands People .. they are OFTEN to the nearest common denominator..

for instance Crombie becoming ABERcrombie etc..

I have today picked up on my Scottish side on MY Ancestry tree -- and am being thrown the most ridiculous hints...

It is scary to think what we will see in the future from  ( and I am not being mean here) todays lazy 'copy.this..copy that' trees.
I cannot bear to think.. 

xin

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: scottish results
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's bad enough in the rest of the country, where people on Ancestry have the opportunity to look at the image of the record, but rarely appear to bother. You really need to treat Ancestry as a "finding aid" in the same category as the IGI when it comes to Scotland.

I know of several records where I have attached "Alternative Info" in the first day after the records appeared on Ancestry, only to see the incorrect version months later plonked in someone else's tree.

I doesn't help that Ancestry insists on attaching bad data unless you carefully edit it - and how many bother with that? :(

For example, one entry I added to a tree recently ought to have been:
    29 Sep 1939
    27 Gower St, Farnworth, Lancashire, England

Ancestry insisted it ought to be:
    Lancashire, England

To be honest, I was surprised to find England mentioned. ;D

All the Ancestry UK census dates except 1911 are incorrect, presumably because Americans can not believe that a census takes place over a SINGLE night. US censuses take place over many months, and the first sheets of the "1920 US Federal Census" were filled in as early as 1917!

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.