Author Topic: Changes to FIND MY PAST "My Records"  (Read 12627 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to FIND MY PAST "My Records"
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sloe Gin - I will try snipping.  :)

Thanks rosie - I understand some of the icons but have never used the one which I can indicate which record is relevant to me. (I have not had a chance to thoroughly check all My Records yet)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
I've have paid FindMyPast for several lots of 300 points worth of views since April this year (because I don't like regular subscriptions that I might not use) so I only have 10 pages of records.  I've just spent 6.5 hours downloading and naming the files and I will be downloading everything I view from now on.

Speedwell if you've paid for credits rather than a subscription, then you will retain ongoing access to those records.  The change only applies to records viewed with a subscription.  The difference being that you used the credits to pay to view the individual records, while a subscription allows you access to view everything covered by the level of subscription and you don't have to confirm you agree to use the number of credits to view each record.

That said, its probably still wise to download them anyway.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
I haven't had a paying sub for a long time since I don't like the site and I find that they exaggerate what records they have available..
Bev

I feel they do exaggerate as well as lots of their records are merely indexes or transcriptions, and even some of the post 1754 marriages (where the originals should give 2 witnesses) are transcripts from Bishops Transcripts instead of the original register. Many BT's of 1754-onwards marriages just are a list of the marriages that year with name and date, all other info is omitted. Witness names for marriages 1754 onwards in original PR's are to me very, very vital and crucial.

FindMyPast Fridays also say "exciting new records" for a certain county but many of them are just a fraction of what is out there. And a lot of them are American, Australian or Canadian records instead of UK records.

I went to FindMyPast because they said they had the Worcestershire parish records, which at the time I couldn't find anywhere else.
Actually they only have four parishes' worth of baptisms and marriages and three of burials.
Luckily FreeReg is increasing its Worcestershire coverage all the time now :)
Bev

Oh yes they say "new records for Kent" when it is just 1 parish. Or just some monumental inscriptions when many of our ancestors were buried in unmarked graves. Maybe I am expecting too much but when you live a long way from the counties my ancestors lived in, and what with genealogy being very popular, the more bulk records online the better.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Speedwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 06 September 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Smudwhisk,
I thought I hadn't seen the email - still better safe than sorry.
I did consider a subscription but I tend to binge on my genealogy for a few weeks and then ease off for a few weeks so paying for credits did seem the best way. Mind you I was a bit shocked that it was 70 credits for the 1939 Register! You can bet I downloaded that one first.
I think my main criticism is that the 'hints' take you to the transcript when I prefer to see the image.

Offline Dave Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 23 September 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hey Ruskie, I know it's a while since this thread was updated but I totally agree with you and have sent a mail to FindMyPast regarding my displeasure. As you will know the change takes place on 30th Sept and to look at My records after that, i will have to buy some credits. I've never had a subscription as I don't use it very much but probably have about 80 stored records. As others have said, I have paid to display these records therefore I don't see why I should pay more just to redisplay them. To me, it's like buying a television and being told that I can't watch it unless I pay more. It's a big con. I have also raised the question of legality regarding this change but it's all down to money as ever.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 23 September 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
To me, it's like buying a television and being told that I can't watch it unless I pay more.
You do pay your TV licence fee, don't you? Every year?

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 23 September 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
To me, it's like buying a television and being told that I can't watch it unless I pay more.
You do pay your TV licence fee, don't you? Every year?

Regards

Chas

No.

(There is no TV licencing in Australia).  :)

Offline Dave Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 23 September 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
Ho ho Chas, I never thought of that one. I obviously need a better analogy.

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 23 September 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
Cor, lucky you Ruskie.  Unless you are over 75 us Brits have to cough up £150.50p yearly for our TV licence.  For that money you tend to get quite a bit in the way of repeats as well.  >:( ::)
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire