Author Topic: Changes to FIND MY PAST "My Records"  (Read 12587 times)

Offline trish58

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to FIND MY PAST "My Records"
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 03:03 BST (UK) »
Not 100% sure Ruskie but from memory (Which is not as good these days) but I think it goes by the date, and because time is so short for me to do anything properly I will get myself all stressed out and it really isn't worth the hassle.
FindMyPast where never the same after they changed their format and had everyone abandon ship for a while but I stuck with it, the usual thing wipe your feet on the most loyal, after all you are only a number with a $ sign.

Thanks Ruskie :)
Trish
Rae, Feeney, Singleton, Appleton, Agnew, McKeachie,
Fury, & many more

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 03:15 BST (UK) »
Although I ever only dipped in and out of FindMyPast I seldom found anything I was looking for on the site, and that included data sets where I thought I would find something. For that reason I never took out an annual subscription.

I preferred the odd month here and there if there was a specific vein of research I happened to need to follow at the time. I think the £1 monthly offers annoyed annual subscribers (which I can understand), but I admit to signing up for those, but most of the time I didn't get my £1s worth (ie I didn't use the site).  :)

Yes, I think the records are listed newest first, oldest further back in the pages of searches.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 04:01 BST (UK) »
If you are a current subscriber the changes don't impact you, and if you are a lapsed subscriber FPM don't care about you or your lost records.

Ruskie,

Your 'typo' made me laugh, very apt...Forget Past Memories...you no longer have access!!!  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 04:37 BST (UK) »
If you are a current subscriber the changes don't impact you, and if you are a lapsed subscriber FPM don't care about you or your lost records.

Ruskie,

Your 'typo' made me laugh, very apt...Forget Past Memories...you no longer have access!!!  ;D

Annie

oops. That will teach me to rush.  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 07:34 BST (UK) »
Is there a way to sort through "My Records" to only show the documents you have viewed rather than all of the searches? This might at least give people the chance to copy those (possibly) more important records first.  :-\

'My records'  are the documents you have viewed.  It does indicate whether you have just looked at the transcript or the actual document.  I think they have modified that too as you could see if you had looked at both the image and the transcript . 

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
I contacted FindMyPast customer service and I was able to renew my old type of sub with my loyalty discount. So it was all right after all, but I don't know how long I could have left it before I would have had to have had one of the new subs.
Lucky I wasn't away on holiday when it expired.
You are allowed a 30 day period after the lapse of you subscription to renew and keep your loyalty discount, probably a reasonable period allowing for holidays etc.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
I was aware of "my records" but never really trusted it when I had a sub with FindMyPast. I always saved everything to my PC. I now use Ancestry and FindMyPast in the library saving anything interesting on a flash drive. I have a library folder on my PC where I put the records from each visit to the library. Each folder in "Library" has a date so I can look at each day's records. Each individual record is named so I can use search to find whatever I'm looking for.

Blue

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
I was aware of "my records" but never really trusted it when I had a sub with FindMyPast. I always saved everything to my PC. I now use Ancestry and FindMyPast in the library saving anything interesting on a flash drive. I have a library folder on my PC where I put the records from each visit to the library. Each folder in "Library" has a date so I can look at each day's records. Each individual record is named so I can use search to find whatever I'm looking for.

Blue

I wish i was that organised ;D. I've just got a massive folder called family History on my PC with everything dumped in, with names that seem gibberish only days after I've saved them.
I wish FindMyPast had a an icon to say which images I'd downloaded as well as those I had just viewed.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
A lot of people let a subscription drop with the intention of taking it up again in the future, so they may find that they lose a lot of those people, though they are probably only interested in the continual subscribers anyway.

By contrast I think Ancestry are well aware that after several years of subscribing, many people drop out for a while because they have got as far as they can with the resources available.  I find they regularly offer me a short-term cut-price deal, which I usually accept if they have new records relevant to me.  They seem to have a good understanding of our needs in that respect.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.