Author Topic: Liverpool Docks - The Piermaster  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liverpool Docks - The Piermaster
« on: Thursday 30 August 18 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have a copy of a photograph which shows my Grandad (in Dock uniform) and an older gentleman who I would say looks more smart casual than uniformed. On the reverse it is labelled 1961 and "The Pier Master". It would be great to understand who the mystery person is and rule in/out the fact that he may be a distant relative. Questions I have for anyone in the know:

* Would the docks have more than one master? (Stupid question possibly given the number of docks that made/make up the Port of Liverpool)
* Any advice on where to start looking for evidence to link the mystery man to a name and help validate his identity?

I have never visited the Liverpool Mersey Maritime Museum, and sadly I live too far away for  a casual visit and they are currently not taking any research enquires (until December 2018).

Thanks in advance

Neil

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Docks - The Piermaster
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 August 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a Pier Master for Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. As far as I am aware each dock had a Pier Master. I have a photo of him in uniform, on the Dock. However I really have no idea exactly what a Pier Master did, other than the fact that he managed that particular Dock.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 August 18 12:33 BST (UK) »
"The piermaster was responsible for ensuring the safe passage of ships entering and leaving the dock at high tide."

According to the link below:

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/visit/galleries/piermasters-house.aspx

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Old Dockers in Liverpool have a Facebook page - those who worked for he Mersey Dock and Harbour Board - I am sure they may help - my Grandad was Garston Docks Gateman - Garston Dock is the very last dock in the South of Liverpool - proper name Stalybridge Dock - still operates today and my brother books all the ships in ...

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=mersey%20docks%20and%20harbour%20board
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
The link to the article about the Pier Master's house brought back a memory.

Apparently back in the summer of 1939 my grandparents were offered the chance to rent one of the houses mentioned in the article. However, aware that a war was imminent and that the houses were so close to the docks Grandad turned the offer down and, instead, the family moved to West Derby, where they came through the war unscathed. Considering that there were four houses and only one survived the bombs I think Grandad made the right choice.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline SkySteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 September 19 14:10 BST (UK) »
Neil_A could you post a copy of the photo please?
My grandfather was also a Dock Master at the Albert Dock. He lived with his family at 42 Canning, Pier Head in one of the houses that has now gone.
They also moved out in 1939, to Kirkdale.
He was "Aussie" Joe Coulton. This is his photo from his MDHC identity card.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fOvETHpBiIhzrHKrZT2pq272J27icXvA/view?usp=drivesdk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 07:41 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was also a Dock Master at the Albert Dock. He lived with his family at 42 Canning, Pier Head in one of the houses that has now gone.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fOvETHpBiIhzrHKrZT2pq272J27icXvA/view?usp=drivesdk
Do you have your Grandads "Tally Disc " - I have my grandads - Number 85 - during the 1920s when work was scarce - so that Dockers got work " and not family " ( foreman use to choose their brothers / cousins etc ) each Docker was given a Tally with a number on it - then tallys were drawn out from a box ensuring all dockers got the chance of work ... I will see if I can find a photo of one - I proudly have my grandads on my key ring  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline SkySteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 September 19 01:33 BST (UK) »
No Garstonite I'm not aware he ever had one. He wasn't a stevedore so that's probably why.

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 September 19 09:37 BST (UK) »
Do you have your Grandads "Tally Disc " - I have my grandads - Number 85 - during the 1920s when work was scarce - so that Dockers got work " and not family " ( foreman use to choose their brothers / cousins etc ) each Docker was given a Tally with a number on it - then tallys were drawn out from a box ensuring all dockers got the chance of work ... I will see if I can find a photo of one - I proudly have my grandads on my key ring  :)

Sadly Steve I don't believe the family has my Grandad's Tally disc, but I attached is a photograph of my grandfather. He is the uniformed chap on the left with someone who we have yet to identify. He could be family or simply a work colleague - clearly we are hoping for the former!

many thanks

neil