Author Topic: Family of Thomas King and Ursula (Oslea) Stewart (Stuart) - Paisley m 1760/61  (Read 953 times)

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am after any information regarding the descendants of the above couple who had several children in Paisley and Neilston between 1760 and 1780 as there is a possibility that their son David born 1772 is my ancestor. I am looking for any information that would help me confirm this.

I know this is rather vague but I don't have a lot of information to go on. All I know is that David King was a weaver by trade and served in the Royal Artillery. In 1798 he married in Cornwall and a son Thomas was born the following year in Plymouth. There is no service record for him at the National Archives and I can't find a record of him or his wife past the birth of his son.

Any information or ideas would be appreciated.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Thomas King and Ursula (Oslea) Stewart (Stuart) - Paisley m 1760/61
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 August 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
I note the marriage of David King to Sarah Fick, Falmouth 1798

Assuming this is correct Sarah Fick was born 24 May 1779  Madron, Cornwall, father John.

I cannot find the birth of Thomas or any other children.

I do note that there are about 8 David’s born 1770 – 1780 in England a Wales and a similar number in Scotland, how did you arrive at the one born in Neilston and have you checked the record on Scotland’s People?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Thomas King and Ursula (Oslea) Stewart (Stuart) - Paisley m 1760/61
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 August 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
I note the marriage of David King to Sarah Fick, Falmouth 1798

Assuming this is correct Sarah Fick was born 24 May 1779  Madron, Cornwall, father John.

I cannot find the birth of Thomas or any other children.

I do note that there are about 8 David’s born 1770 – 1780 in England a Wales and a similar number in Scotland, how did you arrive at the one born in Neilston and have you checked the record on Scotland’s People?

Colin

The marriage to Sarah Fick is of interest to me but Sarah Fick is not my ancestor. I don't know whether it is the same David King that I am interested in or another person of the same name but that is a question for another time.

The marriage in question was to a Mary Bawden. This marriage took place on the 17th November 1798 at St Austell and subsequent to this a Thomas King was baptised at Stoke Damerel in Devon and this ties in with a census record indicating that Thomas was born at Stonehouse in Devon. From Thomas's second marriage I know that his father's name was David and that his prior occupation was as a weaver although at the time of his marriage he was recorded as belonging to the Royal Artillery.

The reason for my interest with the above couple is that I have a small DNA match with a descendant of Thomas King and Ursula Stuart and I have no other obvious connection to Renfrewshire that would account for the match.

Scottish naming conventions also dictate that the eldest son would have been named after the father's father. David King born at Neilston, Renfrew in 1772 was the son of Thomas King and Thomas King born at Plymouth in Devon was the son of David King.

It seems to be too much of a co-incidence not to be the same person but I need more information in order to prove it. Scotlands People will not be of much help to me at this stage unless I can narrow down my search and have something definite that I can focus on.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
Did you consider?

DAVID KING son of THOMAS KING/JANET KERR
22/11/1778 Newton (I guess this is the village in West Lothian)

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
Did you consider?

DAVID KING son of THOMAS KING/JANET KERR
22/11/1778 Newton (I guess this is the village in West Lothian)

Colin
My focus on the above couple was due to a DNA match. I have no other information about David King than the information provided above. I am after information about the descendants of the Thomas King and Ursula Stuart in the hope that it will turn up some information of value. I know for instance that trades tended to run in families so it would be interesting to know if other members of the extended family were involved in the weaving trade.