Author Topic: Puzzling Pope Will  (Read 741 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzling Pope Will
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 September 18 05:09 BST (UK) »
I agree with goldie's readings of the names in this extract, with the sole qualification that we don't have a capital S to compare.

I recommend that you check the original of the FS baptism transcript for Sucreese Pope before concluding that is the name.

Based on the capital L of Lettice, she is Luckerus here.

By the way, Lettice is a moderately common sixteenth century name.  It gradually died out through the C17th.

One of Queen Elizabeth 1's most significant courtiers was a noblewoman named Lettice Knollys.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 September 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
I recommend that you check the original of the FS baptism transcript for Sucreese Pope before concluding that is the name.

I agree with the above, and it could be a variant of the name Lucrece or Lucretia or similar.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 September 18 12:16 BST (UK) »

I agree with the above, and it could be a variant of the name Lucrece or Lucretia or similar.

Hi

Both good points. I had forgotten about Lettice Knoyles too.

I think looking at the original image or PR will definitely help establish if it is an "S" or "L".

At the moment I don't know if this lot link to my  Popes in Chilham but they may do. The earliest I have is a James Pope having children in the 1570s and 80s. So far I know little else but this John might be a brother.

More digging needed I think! 

Matt