Author Topic: WW1 Uniform Identification  (Read 1588 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Uniform Identification
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 August 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NicolaLee99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 September 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you everyone for responding this is fascinating to learn! I have quite a few family members who were in the RAF, but no mention of anyone pre-WW2.

Unfortunately, we know very little of my grandads family apart from him and his brother were both in the Air Force and their dad was a soldier in WW1. There is no specific information about my grandads uncle apart from that he "was shot and killed during the war". This could have been a generalised statement about the 1910-1920 "wartime era" (he may have been killed just after the war) and there is no mention of whether he was army/air force, so its uncertain whether the man in the photo is the uncle we're thinking of. I'm currently trying to access family records to see if there were any brothers, and also to find names and dates of family members to find military records.

Offline NicolaLee99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 September 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
First thing to say is that it's not a WW1 (1908 pattern) tunic worn either by Other Ranks or Officers.
Agree with the other comments closer to WW2.
With regard to the other part of your question about "younger brother" dying WW1 if you give us his name & date of death we'll take it from there.

After taking a quick look, I've found all of the brothers names and a bit of information. The one I think my family is refering to is Horace William Deeley, who served in the Scots Fusiliers and was shot in 1915.

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 September 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
Obviously not Horace in the photo. He was killed (22/4/15) at St. Eloi France which was just a few miles south of Ypres.
He was reported to be wounded but must have died shortly after or was one of 6 OR's who died on the 23rd.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/