Author Topic: England & Wales Crime,prisons, punishments 1770-1935: Look up request  (Read 1049 times)

Offline mikecharles49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
England & Wales Crime,prisons, punishments 1770-1935: Look up request
« on: Friday 31 August 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Could anybody kindly look me up an entry in the crime registers for my likely ancestor:
Albert Edward Robson, born 1868 in Leeds.  Lived mainly in Doncaster.  There should be criminal entries for him in 1893 at York, series MEP06 and HO140.
           I would love to have full details of his misdemeanors.  A carriage trimmer/cabinet maker by trade, his wife Alice died young in 1894 in Doncaster.  Albert himself later went to the city of Buffalo in the USA where he died young in 1902, leaving two daughters in England.
        Many thanks indeed.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: England & Wales Crime,prisons, punishments 1770-1935: Look up request
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 August 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
Here's one
Albert Edward Robson sent to Portland Prison born Leeds 1868 5ft 4in swarthy complexion black hair and brown eyes.
Tatoos sailor on chest,falg and anchor on right bracelet,A.R. on left arm,dot right thumb,3 dots between thumb and fingers.Mole right back.Scar  left finger.
Crime Rape Leeds (York) 7 years Convicted  9.3.1893 release 8.3.1900
But released early at Holborn to 29 Brooke St (several on page have same address so presumably a hostal or some kkind) as coach trimmer 6.7.1898.
His address on charge was Ash St,Poppleton Road York.

He attacked a young woman at Acomb on the Dec 26th 1892 called Rachel Hedley a domestic servant.She was in the service of Major Thacker at Poppleton Villa,Poppleton Road.She returned there in the evening in a shaken ,trembling and exhausted state according to her mistress Mrs Thacker.
A.E Robson attacked the arresting officer PC Pendleton violently when arrested.
There is an article in the York Herald  21 Jan 1893.

It looks like she was a local girl born in York 1871 and she married a Henry Lofthouse in Mar 1902

Does that help?

Ciderdrinker

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 August 18 15:04 BST (UK) »

Sessions, held at York on Saturday, before Mr. W. B. Richardson va 1 * Jtl i e £ > ir a g ls t- ra toB, a young man named Albert ?? Robson, a carriage trimmer, of Ash-street, Poppleton-road, was brought up in custody on a charge of criminally assaulting a ...

Published: Monday 02 January 1893  - Newspaper: York Herald  - County: Yorkshire, England.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mmp/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Further report in the York Herald of 7 January 1893 for this assault.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 18 15:59 BST (UK) »

Preston Herald - Saturday 18 March 1893

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mikecharles49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 August 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Sensational !   Thank you all so much. The name, DOB and place all fit, as does the occupation. He was at Doncaster in the 1891c and his girls were born there in 1891 and 1893. He never registered the births himself but I know the family were scattered at Leeds and York.  He very possibly sailed to South Africa in 1900, but died at Buffalo in the USA in 1902 aged 33.  No death cert was found, but I bet he was involved in murder and mayhem! so I will dig around further.
     His wife Alice died at Doncaster in 1894 aged 24, of scarlet fever.   Kind regards.  Mike.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 August 18 17:56 BST (UK) »

If you register for British Newspapers Archives - its free - there were loads of results for Albert - lets you look at 3 before a subscription would be required.

Sandra

Offline mikecharles49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 September 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
Sandra/Ciderdrinker etc........   Assuming you have access to Ancestry, can you look at the two entries for A.E. Robson in the UK Railway Employment records 1833-1956 for me & let me know the details.  Very grateful.  Thanks, Mike.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 September 18 14:08 BST (UK) »

Both entries refer to A E Robson -  London, Midland and Scottish - 28 November 1908

Sandra