Author Topic: Sketchbook owner's name?  (Read 4722 times)

Offline beatrice834

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sketchbook owner's name?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 September 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Once again, thanks for your interest.  I am attaching the title of the two-page watercolour of Gibraltar, sent to me this afternoon.  Is it by the same hand?  I had not looked closely at the title before but am sure now that it refers to RN ship "Indus", so maybe the artist was on board and was a naval man?

The book was bought this year from a charity shop in Surrey - no Gift Aid label which might have led to the donor. 

Minta, Wadeson (Lincs) Leeson, Staniforth (Leics) Wain (Lincs)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 September 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
Going by the "Sep", I'd say it was the same hand.

And looking at the "br" in Gibraltar (as well as the - if that's what it is! - "HMS" before "Indus"), the signature or whatever it is could have us guessing for a long while..!  ;D

Karen

Edited:
Oops.  :-\ There's a "not" missing...
Please read:
Going by the "Sep", I'd say it was NOT the same hand.

(The "Sep" is the only bit which is in both examples, and they are definitely very different.)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 02 September 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Going by the "Sep", I'd say it was the same hand.

And looking at the "br" in Gibraltar (as well as the - if that's what it is! - "HMS" before "Indus"), the signature or whatever it is could have us guessing for a long while..!  ;D

Karen

I don't think thats HMS I think it's 'from'    but you are right. It's impossible!

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 02 September 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
Maybe it's the following ship (snippet taken from the Aberdeen Herald and General Advertiser 17 September 1853):

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 02 September 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
I'm not convinced it's 53, to me it looks like 58 but it also looks as if it's a '£' sign before the year  :-\

I wonder if there are crew lists for 'Indus'?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 03 September 18 00:03 BST (UK) »
Gibraltar
from "Indus"
28 Sep * 58

* this does look like a £ as suggested by Annie, though it would make more sense if it was an abbreviation related to a date (presumably 1858) unless the artist was trying to sell the painting. :-\ £58 is far too much to charge for an amateur work in the 1850s I would think.

Presumably the artist was on board the Indus when they did the painting. He could have been crew or a passenger.

I can see virtually no similarities in the two examples of writing, and would say they are definitely written by different people.

You say this is a two page watercolour? Is it loose within the book or attached at the spine? I am asking in case this watercolour was just put into the book for safe keeping and may not relate to the owner of the book.  :-\ Can I confirm that the rest of the pages in the book are blank?

Surrey may be a clue - you wouldn't expect something like that to travel too far. Though the book is very interesting it's monetary (and possibly sentimental) value is low.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 September 18 01:19 BST (UK) »
I've copied & enhanced the last image & what I think is £58 looks to have been written separately (at a later date) from the original writing i.e. it's very difficult to determine any facts other than the ship name (Indus) & place name (Gibraltar)  :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 03 September 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
I don't think thats HMS I think it's 'from'    but you are right. It's impossible!

I would agree, it looks like 'from' i.e. passing by

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 September 18 01:34 BST (UK) »
Just a thought but...

My Reply #33, the person who bought it may have added the price paid at the time of purchase?
This may have been many yrs later?
The colour of the ink is different  :-\

Annie