Author Topic: James Leslie, fruit merchant, St Michaels  (Read 116 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
James Leslie, fruit merchant, St Michaels
« on: Saturday 01 September 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
I have information to suggest that James Leslie, son of James Leslie (born 1754) and grandson of Alexander Leslie of Balnageith (which is in Forres, Moray) and his wife Anne Duff, was the James Leslie who married Mary Culbard, daughter of Alexander Culbard, tanner and leather merchant, and his wife Margaret Murdoch.

This marriage is recorded in Elgin, Moray, in 1816.

In 1841 Mary Leslie, 50 and Margaret Leslie, 20, were living with Alexander Culbard, 80, in Elgin. In 1851 the widowed Mary Culbard or Leslie, aged 61, was living in Elgin with her widowed father, who was 92. In 1871 Mary Culbard or Leslie, aged 81, was living with her widowed daughter Margaret Leslie or Michie, aged 52, born St Michaels, Cornwall.

Margaret Leslie married Alexander Michie, surgeon, in Elgin in 1846. He died in Elgin in 1859.

Mary Culbard or Leslie died in Elgin on 5 June 1879, and an item in the Moray Weekly News of 14 June 1879 describes her as the widow of James Leslie, fruit merchant, St Michaels.

Margaret Leslie or Michie died in Elgin on 12 December 1894, and an item in the Elgin Courant describes her as the daughter of James Leslie, fruit grower.

I am intrigued to know why someone from Moray would turn to fruit growing in Cornwall, which is as far as you cen get from Moray and still be in Britain. When did he go to Cornwall? How long did he live there? What did he grow? Did he die in Cornwall, and if so where and when, and at what age?

Can anyone suggest how I might learn more about James Leslie's life and activities in Cornwall? I have looked at FamilySearch and FindMyPast and found nothing useful.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Leslie, fruit merchant, St Michaels
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Cornish OPC -  http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database   

S. Wales, Somerset, Devon - Oxenham

Aberavon - Hopkin/s, Jenkins, Thomas
St. Brides/Wick - Jenkins
Llanblethian -  Price
Abergwynfi -  Han(d)ford
Pontardawe -  Lewis.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
Re: James Leslie, fruit merchant, St Michaels
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
I have now, thank you, but found nothing.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith