Author Topic: BROWNE Family of Wigton  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BROWNE Family of Wigton
« on: Saturday 01 September 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
BROWNE Family of Wigton

Henry BROWNE, born in Wigton 1727, died in Wigton March 1787, married in Wigton on 3 December 1750 to Hannah SWAILE (1721-1797).  Henry and Hannah are reported buried in St. Mary’s Churchyard, Wigton, Cumbria, England.

BROWNE Children:

1.  John BROWNE, Esquire, born 1751-?, Lt. Colonel East India Company. Never married.  No Will found.

2.  Nancy Ann BROWNE,  born 4 September 1753 in Saint Marin in the Fields, Westminster, London; died 1827 in Lambeth, Surrey, England.  Nancy married James BLANCH(E) at Saint Mary Church, Islington, London on 12 November 1776.

3.  William BROWNE, Esquire, born 1756 in Wigton, died 16 November 1805, Major East India Company.  His Will is available on-line Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills.  Never married.

4.  Catherine BROWNE, christening in Wigton 21 February 1759, died East Smithfield, London in 1836.  Catherine married Richard WILSON, on 30 October 1787 at St. Mary’s Whitechapel, Middlesex, England.

5.  Frances Swaile BROWNE, born in Wigton on 15 April 1764; died March 1838 in Lewisham, Kent, England.  Frances married in Wigton to John WITTED on 14 September 1784.

William BROWNE’s Will listed John BROWNE, his brother, as one of his executors.  John BROWNE was at the “proving of the Will” on 21 January 1806, thus, references to John of this BROWNE family death in 1799 are not correct.

I could not find John BROWNE’s Will in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, but I do not have a death date to search and I am a novice researching UK records, and could have missed it.

William BROWNE, along with his parents and brother, John BROWNE, were reported buried in St. Mary’s Churchyard, Wigton.

Can anyone in this forum help me confirm/verify that members of this BROWNE family are indeed interned at St. Mary’s Courtyard and hopefully gain additional information on John BROWNE’s death?

I am a direct line descendant via Nancy Ann BROWNE.

Thank you for your time and assistance with this inquiry!

Rob van Haastert
Eagle River, Alaska

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: BROWNE Family of Wigton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
St Mary's Courtyard. Wigton.

Nearly all the headstones have been removed from the churchyard and reused as paving in the courtyard in front of the church. Most are face up, but some are face down. Many of the ones that are face up are legible, but others have worn down.............

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/315707?availability=Family%20History%20Library

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/37285?availability=Family%20History%20Library

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/414396?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 18 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, 

Thank you for the quick reply and the new catalog links.  At least new to me.

One had a digital copy link, others did not.  I was able to find confirmation for several BROWN(E) and SWAIL(E) family members.  Details below.

The Registers of Wigton, parts I and II, 1604-1797, Vol 35 pt 01
https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE6455649

The Registers of Wigton, parts I and II, 1604-1797, Vol 37 pt 02
https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE4528566

BROWNE / SWAILE  Family extracts

Page 178,    Baptisms     1721 Nov 15   Hannah dau of Jno Swail de Wigton
Page 176,    Baptisms     1720 Jan 24    Robert son of Jno Swail de Wigton
Page 180,    Baptisms     1724 May 14   Frances dau of Jno Swail de Wigton
Page 183,    Baptisms     1727 May 4     Sarah dau of Jno Swail de Wigton
Page 264,    Burials     1720 Nov 20    Robert son of Jno Swail de Wigton
Page 216,    Marriages    1718 Nov 16    Joannes Swail and Anna Richardson
Page 297,    Baptism    1746   Apr 25     Jno son of Henry Brown of Wigton
Page 303,    Baptism    1751 Oct 4      Mary dau Jam: Brown of Wigton
Page 305,    Baptism    1753 Oct 18    Nancy dau Henry Brown of Wigton
Page 308,    Baptism    1756 Sep 9    William son Henry Brown of Wigton
Page 311,    Baptism    1759 Feb 21    Nancy dau Henr: Brown of Wigton
Page 317,    Baptism    1764 Apr 15    Fanny dau Henry & Hannah Brown, Wigton
Page 413,    Marriages    1745   July 30    George Sinton & Hannah Swail
Page 413,    Marriages    1746   Dec 29    John Brown & Sarah Dowthwaite
Page 414,    Marriages    1749   Nov 30    George Waugh & Sarah Brown
Page 414,    Marriages    1750   Dec 3     Henry Brown & Hannah Sinton
Page 416,    Marriages    1755 July 13   John Shannon & Rebecca Brown both of this parish by
                                                        licence
Page 422,    Marriages    1765   Jun 1    Richard Gibson batch & Jane Brown s-w, both of this parish
Page 425,    Marriages    1769   Oct 16    William Brown of Holm Cultram parish widower & Deborah
                                                        Tremble of this parish by licence
Page 427,    Marriages    1772   Nov 4   Joseph Hollady, husbandman, ages 23, batch & Philadelphia
                                                        Brown, spr. aged 33 both of this parish by licence
Page 428,    Marriages    1774   Sep 26    Gilfrid Richardson, labourer, age 31, batch, & Ann Brown,
                                                        Spr. Aged 31 both of this parish
Page 435,    Burials    1730   May 3    Jno Swail Wigton p.
Page 479,    Burials    1755   Sep 29    Hannah Swaile, widow, Wigton, age 84 (p.151)
Page 415,    Marriages    1752   Aug 20    Peter Hamilton & Sarah Swail
Page 446,    Burials,    1742   July 14   Will: Brown of Wigton
Page 453,    Burials,    1750   Apr 18   Jane Brown, Longthwaite p.
Page 451,    Burials,    1746 Mar 16   George Sinton of Wigton
Page 454,    Burials,    1751 Dec 9   Mary dau of Jam: Brown, Wigton
Page 459,    Burials,    1759   May 15   Eleanor: wife of Jno Brown, Vicar Wigton
Page 464,    Burials,    1763   Mar 20   John Brown A.M. Vicar of Wigton

Unfortunately, I was unable to find John BROWNE's death information.

Hopefully, someone with access to the microfilm can assist.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 September 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob
I visit Cumbria archives fairly regularly. I will check Wigton records for a burial for John next time I go, but it may not be for a couple of weeks!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gan Yam,

Thank you very much for the lookup offer!

I look forward to hearing what you were able to find.

I believe there is enough family information already posted - can you think of any other bit of information you will need for the search?

Rob van Haastert

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

Here is the information I found at Cumbria Archives for Henry and Hannah Brown and their sons John and William.

There is a transcript of the Marriage Licence as follows:
"Dec 3, Brown Henry, Wigton, Blacksmith
Linton Hannah, do, Widow
Bondsman William Wallace, Wigton, Bricklayer
HB and WW are yeoman on the affidavit"

The parish record gives the marriage of Henry Brown to Hannah Linton as 3 December 1750. (the parish record is quite clear and Hannah's name is written as Linton, same as the transcription from the marriage bond)

Hannah and Henry's son, John S Henry Brown was baptised 5 months later on 25 April 1751.

Wigton Parish burial record for Hannah - Hannah Brown buried 3 January 1797, Wife of Henry, Blacksmith.

Wigton Parish burial record for Henry - Henry buried 28 March 1797 aged 70.     (They died within 3 months of each other)

There is also a transcript of a monumental inscription for Henry and Hannah's grave, as follows:

"Sacred memory of Henry ...wn of Wigton died March .... 1797 aged 70.  Also of Hannah his wife who died January 1st 1797 aged 7.. Also John their son who died .....1799 aged 49 years.  Also William Brown Esq, Major in the service of the Honorable East India Company and son of the above named Henry and Hannah Browne who died at Wigton the 16th day of November 1805 aged 49."
(the dots are where the transcriber has been unable to read the gravestone)

The parish burial record for John Brown, Wigton, Blacksmith, Burial 12 June 1799.

I didnt have time to check while at the archives, but have checked their online catalogue and they appear to have a copy of a will for both Henry (died 1797) and also for  John Brown, Blacksmith (died  1799) and I can look at these wills the next time I go if you would like me to?

Not what you were hoping for but it looks like the 1799 death is the correct one, but doesn't explain who was at the "proving of the will" in 1806?  And there was no mention in any of the records that I looked at that John was a Lt Colonel with the East India Company, just that he was a blacksmith same as his father.

Hope this information is of use to you.

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
Gan Yam,

Thank you very much for the details.  I must say I am puzzled.  I would very much like to review the wills for Henry and John that the Cumbria archives have.  Is it possible to take a digital picture and upload?

I searched for other John Brown(e) wills and all of the ones available on-line list Brown family members in these wills which do not match this Henry and Hannah Browne family.

I have a .jpg copy of William Browne's will which mentions his brother is a Lieutenant Colonel of the late East Indies Company and had the Esquire suffix/title. Additionally, all of William's sisters and even a Niece (William's sister, Nancy Ann, married James Blanche). For William's brother, John, to be also a blacksmith seems odd to me.

Is there a way to attach .jpg files to this board?  I did not see anything in the FAQs. Is this something a personal message can allow?

I appreciate all the assistance! 

This is an interesting puzzle.  Not only am I a direct line descendant from Henry & Hannah Browne via daughter Nancy Ann, but was also a McDonnell Douglas  F-4G Wild Weasel in a prior life, so the military connection intrigues me.

Rob
--------------
Hi Rob

Here is the information I found at Cumbria Archives for Henry and Hannah Brown and their sons John and William.

There is a transcript of the Marriage Licence as follows:
"Dec 3, Brown Henry, Wigton, Blacksmith
Linton Hannah, do, Widow
Bondsman William Wallace, Wigton, Bricklayer
HB and WW are yeoman on the affidavit"

The parish record gives the marriage of Henry Brown to Hannah Linton as 3 December 1750. (the parish record is quite clear and Hannah's name is written as Linton, same as the transcription from the marriage bond)

Hannah and Henry's son, John S Henry Brown was baptised 5 months later on 25 April 1751.

Wigton Parish burial record for Hannah - Hannah Brown buried 3 January 1797, Wife of Henry, Blacksmith.

Wigton Parish burial record for Henry - Henry buried 28 March 1797 aged 70.     (They died within 3 months of each other)

There is also a transcript of a monumental inscription for Henry and Hannah's grave, as follows:

"Sacred memory of Henry ...wn of Wigton died March .... 1797 aged 70.  Also of Hannah his wife who died January 1st 1797 aged 7.. Also John their son who died .....1799 aged 49 years.  Also William Brown Esq, Major in the service of the Honorable East India Company and son of the above named Henry and Hannah Browne who died at Wigton the 16th day of November 1805 aged 49."
(the dots are where the transcriber has been unable to read the gravestone)

The parish burial record for John Brown, Wigton, Blacksmith, Burial 12 June 1799.

I didnt have time to check while at the archives, but have checked their online catalogue and they appear to have a copy of a will for both Henry (died 1797) and also for  John Brown, Blacksmith (died  1799) and I can look at these wills the next time I go if you would like me to?

Not what you were hoping for but it looks like the 1799 death is the correct one, but doesn't explain who was at the "proving of the will" in 1806?  And there was no mention in any of the records that I looked at that John was a Lt Colonel with the East India Company, just that he was a blacksmith same as his father.

Hope this information is of use to you.

[/quote]

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 September 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

It is very intriguing!  The gravestone inscription seems to support that this is the correct family, with the reference to the East India Company.  I'll check the wills for Henry and John (blacksmith) and take a copy. Lets hope they throw some light on mystery.

Does the will you have give an address in Wigton or any other snippets of information that may be useful. Do you know how William came to be in a Major in the East India Co?

Just to clarify the baptism of John. My previous post should have read  -John, son of Henry. (the way I posted looks like he was called John S Henry Brown)

(I don't think you can post pictures etc on the lookup boards but you can post them on the main Cumberland board)

Julie

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 September 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

I do not know how William and John got to be officers in the East India Company - a mystery to me.

Here is a link to William Browne's will:
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/5111/40611_311402-00081/109996?backurl=https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/45452054/person/25555464969/facts/citation/580271979493/edit/record

It does mention that John Browne esquire was in Cockermouth, 28-30 miles south of Wigton.

If unable to get to the webpage, please let me know and I will try to find another means.

William and John's mother, Hannah, was previously married to George Linton (Sinton).  They married on 30 July 1745 and George died March 1746.  Maybe George and Hannah have a son, John, that was later adopted by Henry Browne?  This John Linton could be what is confusing everything.   Just an idea.

Rob