Author Topic: BROWNE Family of Wigton  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: BROWNE Family of Wigton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 September 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm not able to view the will.  Cockermouth is only about 15 miles from Wigton.  There is a family called Browne who lived at Tallentire Hall, Bridekirk, nr Cockermouth having bought it in mid 1760's.  I wonder if they are related to the Wigton Brown family?  Could John from the will be a cousin, rather than brother? or as you say a brother from Hannah's previous marriage?  The wills held at the archives may throw some light on it!

Julie
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
I don't think the John Brown in Williams will is his brother. Name is spelled throughout the will without an e at the end, whilst William Browne is spelled throughout with an e.

A death report in Carlisle Patriot, 4 Mar 1820.

On Sunday, at Cockermouth, John Brown, Esq. Lieutenant-Colonel in the Honourable East India Company's Service, aged 65.

John Brown of Cockermouth will is also in PCC Wills, 1820. Mentions his wife Rebecca and his sisters Margaret, Mary and Elizabeth,

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
I don't think the John Brown in Williams will is his brother. Name is spelled throughout the will without an e at the end, whilst William Browne is spelled throughout with an e.

A death report in Carlisle Patriot, 4 Mar 1820.

On Sunday, at Cockermouth, John Brown, Esq. Lieutenant-Colonel in the Honourable East India Company's Service, aged 65.

John Brown of Cockermouth will is also in PCC Wills, 1820. Mentions his wife Rebecca and his sisters Margaret, Mary and Elizabeth,

Alan.

Good find Alan! And the 'e' on Henry and Hannah's gravestone is fairly interchangeable.  John could be a relative other than brother or just a friend?

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for the find. 

I am checking with my source that Willam and John both served in the East India Company.  It may be from a misreading of William's will and mixing up brother John with this 'executor' John.

In deciphering William Browne's will again, I did NOT see a reference that John Brown, esquire, was also William's brother.

The Wills for John whom died in 1799 and his father, Henry, should put the final nails in this mystery.

Rob

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

Checked the wills of Henry and John Brown.  John is definately the brother of William, Catherine, Nancy, and Frances and there isn't another John Brown mentioned in the will. Although he was a blacksmith, he was a man of means. Henry's will named all his children, again only one John Brown.  Looks like the John in Williams will isn't his brother, especially in view of the info posted by Wolfie.  I have copies of the both the wills - if you pm me with your email address, I'll send them to you, as can't attach them here.

Julie

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 September 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
Julie,

I wanted to thank you again for the copies of Henry Brown(e) and John Brown(e) wills.

They do confirm the Lt. Col John Browne in William Browne's will is not William's brother.  The copies were clear enough and the handwriting was neat enough to transcribe the wills. 

The wills also provide clues for Nancy Ann Browne's husband, James Blanch(e).  Nancy was listed as a widow in her brother John's Will on 8 June 1799 and was not listed as a widow in her father's will on 22 February 1797.  There are several James Blanch(e)'s and identifying which one has been frustrating.

Henry Brown

In the Name of God Amen, I Henry Brown of Wigton in the County of Cumberland being Weak in Body but of sound and desposing Mind Memory and understanding praised be god for the same do make publish and did are this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following.  First I command my Soul into the Hands of the Almighty God my Creator hoping for a Remission of all my sins by the Merits and Mediation of my Saviour Jesus Christ and my Body I commits to the Earth to be decently interned at the discretion of my Executors hereinafter named and as to all my Worldly Estate I give and bequeath the same as follows.  I will give a bequeath to my Dothter Nancy Blanch the sum of Fifty Pounds to be paid by my Executor onto whom my said Dothor Nancy Blanch shall duely authorize order or appoints to receive the sum likewise will and bequeath and lieve to my son William Brown the sum of Fifty pounds to be paid by my Executor or to whom he duly authorize or appointment to receive the same and I William and bequeath to my Dothers Catherine Wilson the wife of Richard Wilson of London Fifty Pounds to be be paid by my Executor and to whom she duly authorize or appoint and receive the sum. I also lieve and bequeath to my Dother Frances Witted the wife of John Witted of London the sum of Fifty Pounds to be paid by my Executors to my said Dother Frances Witted on to whom she shall duely authorize order or appoint to receive the sum.  I will lieve and bequeath to my grandson John Witted the sum of Ten pounds to be paid by my Executor a sum to be received at the age of Twenty one years and lastly as to all the rest remainder and residue of my Estate whats over and where over I hereby give and bequeath this arrangement to my son John Brown his Executors administrators and assigns for his and their own use and benefit absolutely and I do hereby make ordain constitute and appoint my said son John Brown sole executor of this my last will and testament revoking any and former Testaments by me at anytime heretofore made in witness wherefore I have to this my last will and testament [unreadable word] subscribed my hand and seal this twenty second day of February on thousand seven hundred and ninety seven.  Henry Brown (LS) Signed sealed published and declared by the Testament Henry Brown as his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who at his request in his presence and the presence of each other have subscribed our Names as Witness our ]hands John Matthews, Mark Stoddard and Hannah Tiffin.  Proved May 20, 1797

22 Feb 1797 –Wednesday
20 May 1797 – Saturday

For everyone that provided comments - Thank you.

Rob van Haastert
Eagle River, Alaska

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 September 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
John Brown(e), blacksmith in Wigton, son of Henry Brown(e) will - exceeded the 6500 character count in other email.

Cumbria Archives, unknown book, pages 713-175

John Brown

This is the last will and testament of me John Brown of Wigton in the County of Cumberland
Blacksmith made the eighth day of June in the year of our Lord 1799 in manner following that is to say First of all I give devise and bequeath unto my brother William Brown and his heirs all my Freehold ressuages lands and tenements situate lying and being at Wigton aforesaid to hold to my said brother William Brown his heirs and assigns for ever. Also I give and bequeath unto my said brother William the Sum of Two Hundred Pounds to be paid to him at the end of twelve months reach after my decease over and above the sum of Fifty pounds which I ow? Also I give and bequeath unto my sister Ann Blanch widow the interes of the sum of Five Hundred pounds during her natural life and said principal sum of Two Hundred pounds after her decease to be equally divided amongst her children: share and share alike also I give and bequeath unto my sister Catherine Wilson the sum of Two Hundred pounds to be paid to her at the end of twelve months after my decease and to her two sons each the sum of Twenty Five pounds to be paid to them as they shall respectively attain to the age of twenty one years and in case either of them shall happen to dye before he shall attain in full age of twenty one years the share of him to dyig to go to the survivor.  I also give and bequeath unto my sister Frances Witty the sum of Two Hundred pounds to be paid to her at the end of twelve months next after my decease and to my nephew John Wittey the sum of Twenty pounds to be paid to him at the age of twenty one years.  Also I give and bequeath unto my friend the Reverend Richard Matthews of Wigton Master of Arts and Thomas Porter of the same place.  Gentleman all my household furniture stock in trade to be by them or the survivor of them or the Executors or administrators of each survivor immediately to sell and dispose of all my said household furniture and stock in trade and the monies arising there from after the payment of all my rest debts to be equally divided amongst my three sisters share and share alike also I give and bequeath unto my housekeeper Sarah Tiffen the sum of Five pounds all the rest residue and remainder of my personal estate after the payment of my funeral expenses and mournings   I give and bequeath unto my said friends Richard Matthews and Thomas Porter and to the survivor of them and to the Executors and administrators of such survivor to be by them divided amongst any said sisters children as they in their discretion shall think proper and I do hereby appoint and any said friends Richard Matthews and Thomas Porter Joint executors of this my last will and Testament hereby revoking all former will and wills by me at any time made.  In witness where of I have hereunto set my Hand and seal the day and year above written  John Brown (LS)
Signed Sealed Published and Declared by the said Testator John Brown to be his last will and testament who at his request and in the presence have hereunto subscribed our hands as Witnesses thereof  -- William Ballantine, Isaac Lightfoot, John Lightfoot
Proved June 24th 1799.

Both Wills had an "L. S" after Henry Brown(e) and John Brown(e)'s names  - does it mean 'left sign' as in not able to write their name?

Rob van Haastert

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 September 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
L.S. is Locus Sigilli (Latin). "The location of the seal". The place of the wax seal on copies of old legal documents. William Brownes PCC 1805 Will has the same, a circle with L.S. inside after his name. On the original document, that is where the seal would be.
Copies of Diocese of Durham wills at the same period had a circle with "Seal" written inside, where the seal would be on the original document.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Rob van Haastert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 September 18 20:08 BST (UK) »