Author Topic: james driscoll  (Read 1309 times)

Offline tancor1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james driscoll
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 September 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
i have just checked births for dunmanway for a James driscoll  and found one with father called john so maybe the place and date i have for james in tralee maybe wrong, and he was actually born in dunmanway in cork date for this birth 4th feb 1888.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 September 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
There is no indication of date of birth for the man who died from wounds while interned in Switzerland so it is a matter of adding up the clues.
He was 8351 Sjt James Driscoll , 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers.  His number indicates he joined up in 1905 or 1906.  His overseas war service started on 13 August 1914 when he went to France with his battalion.
His burial while interned in Switzerland indicates he was one of the wounded/sick interned under  agreements made between the Swiss Government and the French, British and German Governments under which a certain number of wounded/sick prisoners of war were interned in Switzerland. The Red Cross document recording his death from TB on 25 March 1918 has his date of birth as 4 Feb 1888.  He was captured in 1914.  His POW documents add nothing except that he was transferred to Switzerland, already sick, in 1916 from Limburg POW Camp.
The Register of Soldiers Effects is the only document that has any personal info, the name of his widow Susan.  He was certainly serving in 1911 when the mrriage took place.

Really up to you to decide whether that man is yours.  I would work on the relationship between Susan and the Cork end of it all.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline tancor1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 September 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
thank you

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 September 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
There is a James Driscoll in 1901 census Dunmanway father John is a Woolen Factory Spinner, would that fit with being a machinist?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Dunmanway/West_Green/1142213/

Offline tancor1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
james driscoll
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 February 20 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace a James Driscoll who married my grandfathers sister Susan Flynn, they married 28 Nov 1911 in Boherbee, i am trying to find his death.
i have found a record for a James Driscoll having served in the Irish Rifle Regiment in world war one, but this gives no further information so i do not know if this is him.
On the marriage certificate it gives his father as John Driscoll.
Can anyone give me advice as to were to look next.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 February 20 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Same person you asked about in 2018 (to avoid duplicating searches)-
both topics now merged
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tancor1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 February 20 12:36 GMT (UK) »
someone suggested that i try the military board to see if i could get some answers that is why the same question is being asked but if your comment is the only answer i am going to get i shall delete my question not not trouble roots chat in the future

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 February 20 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure why my post has upset you so much but previous topic is on Armed Forces board  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 February 20 13:02 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure why you are getting upset with aghadowey's post, they are only trying to save those of us that want to help you from spending time looking for things people have previously found.   :)

Do you have James and Susan after their marriage, do you know if they had children as that can also help us.  Have you any additional information since your other post

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk