Author Topic: Joy family (Printers and Paper Manufacturers)  (Read 2433 times)

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joy family (Printers and Paper Manufacturers)
« on: Saturday 01 September 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to assemble a family tree of the descendants of Francis Joy (1697-1790) and his wife, Margaret Martin. I know a little more through my own research, though there are are individuals who I cannot place etc. If anyone can help me, please get in touch.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joy family (Printers and Paper Manufacturers)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
This one?

Joy, Francis (1697–1790), printer and paper manufacturer, was born on 3 August 1697, probably in Belfast. Family legend claimed that he was descended from Captain Thomas Joy, a follower of Arthur Chichester

http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/10.1093/ref:odnb/9780198614128.001.0001/odnb-9780198614128-e-15146
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
visit the linenhall library
There is a Joy family tree, in the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast. I think it most likely to be of the Downpatrick branch. Visit if you can give them warning helps, if you cant then I suggest you write to them asking them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  “The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com.
The volume references for
JOY      Volume 24p72 Belfast, Volume 66 a 1938 production
Hoping this is includes new information for you, the 1938 sounds like an anniversary of the first newsletter

Also in the library are the Joy manuscripts
 if not start with http://www.newulsterbiography.co.uk/index.php/home/viewPerson/760 on the same site is henry joy
Alison muir paper on paper manufacturers in Familia 2004?
enjoy
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

I have made quite a lot of progress since I placed my topic, however  I shall probably visit the Linen hall Library in the near future, in order to view what you suggested.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
my message included something from another time please ignore completly
"I think it most likely to be of the Downpatrick branch". the tree is your sought family.  Hope you enjoy your visit, and give them warning of your interests gives them time, and helps you.
worldwide

Offline Helen Joy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Helen joy and I am from Belfast!, I would love to know more about my family history I come from a large family that has lost touch and would love to meet more of my family

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi helen, welcome
You really need to know your grandparents name to make a start.. My suggestion is look up https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/  where there are 82 Joy entries in the burial index . Normally each one has a last known address sometimes just a hospital. See if any of your family connect. You may want to keep some parts of your family tree private so choose your ancestor carefully and say you only want ancestors not descendants. That city cemetery is principally protestant and is one of several in Belfast. If your family is catholic then Millfield is  partly searchable see  http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/grave-sections-5/milltown-grave-sections/
Another way is to see if your family has an entry in https://www.ancestryireland.com/
Irish Birth/Baptism Records – Co. Antrim & Co. Down, c. 1660-1930   221 results
Pay-Per-ViewIrish Marriage Records – Co. Antrim & Co. Down, c.1660-1930   181 results
Pay-Per-ViewIrish Death/Burial Records – Co. Antrim & Co. Down, c. 1660-1998   60 results
Pay-Per-ViewNorthern Irish Gravestone Inscriptions   15 results
Several people will probably help track backwards once we know who you after.
enjoy family history good luck in the finding
worldwide