Author Topic: Elusive Ann(e) Nicholson nee Davison death after 1896  (Read 738 times)

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Elusive Ann(e) Nicholson nee Davison death after 1896
« on: Saturday 01 September 18 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hello again having another go at this

For some time I have searched for the lst wife Ann wife of Enoch nee Davi(d)son should be straightforward, but no she isnt!

I have her born 1864 in Stickford Lincolnshire, dau of Abraham and Sarah Davi(d)son. The family moved to the West Riding.  Family 1871 in Wakefield Yorkshire

Ann Davison married Enoch (Harry) Nicholson in Wakefield 25 Dec 1885

Census 1891 at 4 Brook Street Wakefield Yorkshire lst wife with children

Last known child born 25 July 1896 at Mexborough Yorkshire was George Henry Nicholson. He was bpt Hickleton  12 August 1896. Family of colliers.

By 1901 Enoch husband is at Glasshoughton Castleford Yorkshire and 1911 Glasshoughton Castleford listed as a widower. Children and a housekeeper Ann Waddington whom he later married.

I cannot find what happened to the first wife, certainly after 1896 and before 1901. Where did she go?

thank you again...

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive Ann(e) Nicholson nee Davison death after 1896
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone give me any tips to try to find Ann, tried the usual, without success

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Tried the usual........have you tried under the name Hannah?  as that can be used for Ann at times. 

Have you looked for a death soon after the last child was born (same area as baptism)
or any births after that one you don't know about in case the child or mother died then. 

Are her parents alive in 1911?  If so their census details might help confirm if she has died or not.

Enoch and she may have simply parted ways, unlikely if he has the children with him in 1901 but you never know especially if he married the housekeeper.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Census 1891 at 4 Brook Street Wakefield Yorkshire lst wife with children

That Ann has birthplace Thorne Yorkshire  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Annette128

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Yes that is the correct family in Wakefield.  On earlier census she states born Stickford Lincolnshire or Boston Lincolnshire.

In 1901 her husband is classed a widower.  He lived with Annie Waddington 2nd wife and only married in 1911.I have tried deaths for the first wife but she is a mystery.  I have her line back in Lincolnshire. She should show up in the Deaths Indexes after 1896 last known child, but ?? Thanks.