Author Topic: George Hunter, Buffalo hunter in Northern Territory  (Read 2947 times)

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I need a little help along the way !!
    • View Profile
George Hunter, Buffalo hunter in Northern Territory
« on: Sunday 02 September 18 01:01 BST (UK) »
Greetings,
I am trying to track the origins of this man shown on many trees at Ancestry as born 1880 in Masterton, New Zealand, the son of Peter* Stephan and Maud Hunter. NZ BDM have no record of this birth. It's possible there has been an error in transcription but they have no other Hunter births with mother's name Maud so it seems unlikely.

George died 7 Dec 1946  and is buried at Gardens Road Cemetery, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia.

George had a colourful life with a marriage to Thalma Ellen Dargie/Bantz in 1922 and then five children. There are many newspaper accounts of Thalma's adventurous life and George as a buffalo hunter and as a pastoralist on Woolner Station. I have been told the reference to his birth in Masterton, 1880 and parents Peter and Maud comes from his marriage cert but I have not seen this myself.

I have a close DNA match with a descendant of George and a Gt grandmother with surname Hunter so I am trying to find a link between this George Hunter and my Hunters from Old Machar in Scotland but so far I have not been able to confirm any facts regarding his birth or parents.

I would be very grateful for any comments or suggestions which might help to sort out this mystery.

Thanks.

* Moderator edit: name of subject's father corrected as per Reply#9. Spades
Barraclough, Barron, Hunter, Marsden, Pawson, Sowden, Street, Vowless,

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George Hunter, Buffalo hunter in Northern Territory
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 18 00:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder why Masterton NZ as place of  birth ?  Not a familiar place name to me, anyway. Do NZ birth indexes give rego area name ?
No George HUNTER son of Peter & Maud in Ancestrys AUS births

This can be an expensive hobby some times . NT BDMs charge $46  and no indexes  Are some  NT BDM indexes in Findmypast but too early

Look like you might have to spend $46

Bye
Emilypos

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 18 00:41 BST (UK) »
Emily, Masterton is on the North Island, NZ.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 18 00:56 BST (UK) »
NZ electoral rolls

Peter HUNTER, baker, at Masterton in 1890, 1896, 1900, 1905-6.  NO MENTION of Maud.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
NZ electoral rolls

Earliest I find a George HUNTER at Masterton ... 1905-6   :)

George resides Colombo Rd, and is a railway labourer.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 18 01:05 BST (UK) »
This won't be much help to you, but just a couple of thoughts .... just because several trees say he was born in Masterton does not necessarily mean it is true. The trees may have just been copied from one incorrect tree. Of course this may be correct but if none of them have sources I would be a bit suspicious. I recently found what seemed like an accurate tree online related to a family I am researching - someone is said to have died in Newcastle, Ireland. Rubbish of course. Looking further into the family I found a couple more inaccuracies, one of which would have led to tracing completely the wrong lines further back.

I think you need to see both his marriage and death certificates, though the information on both of those can also be wrong (intentionally or accidentally). I have seen many incorrect mother's names on Australian d/cs.

Maybe you could try contacting the tree owner/s to see if they can supply you with sources or copies of certificates.  :-\

Added: NZ was a bit of a magnet for Scottish immigrants.  :) Have you checked any shipping records for George's parents? Or at least for his father?

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 September 18 01:26 BST (UK) »
Have you sought the assistance of those on the NZ board?

Jamjar

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 September 18 01:28 BST (UK) »
Found online submitted tree for this George

:) George Born 1885 in Brisbane, Qld,   #B35031
 :) Sister to George, Maud Winifred HUNTER born Masterton, 1887
 :) George’s mum died 17 January 1897, Maude HUNTER, Wellington NZ
 :) 1914-1918 George worked Vestys Meat Works, Bullocky Pt, Darwin, NT
 :) 1918  George worked Darwin NT as Railway employee
 :) 1920, George owned his own taxi in Darwin
 :) 1921 – 1946 George at Woolner Station as Lessee.  (note the spelling)
 :) 1922  George married Darwin 4 Jan 1922  “Northern Standard Friday 06 Jan 1922 Mr Geo, Hunter and Miss Thelma Dargie were married on Wednesday last’.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/48004086  .... no mention of his origins
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/48007372 escapes from wounded buffalo

trove : https://trove.nla.gov.au/

RChat NT resources board : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369988.0

Qld bdm : online search for that submitted tree ref no. has :
1885,    B35031 matches the ref no.    George   but his father as William Hunter and mum as Jane Ellis
https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/queryEntry.m?type=births

:)

JM