Author Topic: Michael Donovan Marriage Info  (Read 8099 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Donovan Marriage Info
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 September 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
Firstly, do not blame 'Irish records' for your failure to find the information you are looking for. All Irish civil records (births, deaths & Catholic marriages from 1864 and non-Catholic marriages from 1845). In the last few years a tremendous number of records have been put online free (surviving census records, civil records, Catholic parish registers, etc.).

Secondly, you are greatly mistaken- British can cover Ireland pre-1921 but Irish people are NOT English.
You are not telling me anything I don't already know. An English by birth can be used by anyone born either England, Ireland or Scotland ect in this country. >:(
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 September 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
OK what other is there on Carrie and John Donovan, with father Michael
Ward, Kempson, Donovan, Kiesler, Sutherland, Anesbury, Haines, Crowle, Smith, Benfold, Binstead, Bairstow, Tullock, Wallace, Wood, Oakland, Parker, Payne, Stokes, Botten, Stacy, Brooks, Harmer, Sinclair

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 01:13 BST (UK) »
OK what other is there on Carrie and John Donovan, with father Michael

Martin,  if John was my ancestor, I would put together a short paragraph including details as per his marriage cert and his death cert ,  then I would add the obit and then, in a separate paragraph I would briefly note Vera Donovan's oral history about her dad that she shared with you,  one of her grandchildren. 

SO I would, in a separate thread ask for help fnding John.   

This new thread should be on the general ENGLAND board and give links back to this thread.

Carrie and John DONOVAN with dad as Michael are not the only possibles. 

The obit is likely to be a good starting point.

I actally  think  you should  have shared all the details on your document from SS Bradford City in your opening post on this thread. 

Oral history is important, so when there's a published obit then simply because the obit is 'submitted' to the newspaper it needs to be tested too for it too is based on oral history.  So Vera was a child when her dad died in 1910,  and she was a gran when sharing her oral history of him with you, decades later.  You have tested your recollections of her recollectiions but have not got back very far.  Time now to test the obit etc.

JM  edited for spelling, grammar.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 02:04 BST (UK) »
I should also note that Martin’s Gran was born in 1904 in South Australia.  Her dad died in 1910 in South Australia, and she married in 1927 in South Australia.  She died in 1993 in South Australia.  See various indexes at : https://www.genealogysa.org.au/index.php?option=com_search&Itemid=32

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=750657.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 04:25 BST (UK) »
another piece of oral history that i have only recently learned from my mother regarding John McGrath
Elizabeth's second marriage, is that he and John Donovan knew each other, apparently while in school / monastery !  back in Ireland / England !.
This being recently learned i'm reluctant in following it up but could finding them together in the same school be of any help ?

Don't know much about him.
John MCGRATH born between 1873 and 1879
Date: 26 Jan 1959
Residence: Queenstown
Death Place: Magill in Hospital
District Code: Nor/Book: 887/Page: 1007
Ward, Kempson, Donovan, Kiesler, Sutherland, Anesbury, Haines, Crowle, Smith, Benfold, Binstead, Bairstow, Tullock, Wallace, Wood, Oakland, Parker, Payne, Stokes, Botten, Stacy, Brooks, Harmer, Sinclair

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 04:41 BST (UK) »
another piece of oral history that i have only recently learned from my mother regarding John McGrath
Elizabeth's second marriage, is that he and John Donovan knew each other, apparently while in school / monastery !  back in Ireland / England !.
This being recently learned i'm reluctant in following it up but could finding them together in the same school be of any help ?

Don't know much about him.
John MCGRATH born between 1873 and 1879
Date: 26 Jan 1959
Residence: Queenstown
Death Place: Magill in Hospital
District Code: Nor/Book: 887/Page: 1007

That would be the death registration from the South Australia genealogy whizzs  :)  https://www.genealogysa.org.au/quick-links/search-page-02.html 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
Martin,  I think you should give serious consideration to preparing those paragraphs I wrote about for a new thread on the England-General Board.    Here's a possible sighting in LONDON in 1896 for a Miss Carrie DONOVAN. 

Freeman’s Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser, (Dublin, Ireland) of Friday 6 November, 1896,  (Gale Document Number: BC3204964310)

IRISH MUSICAL FEIS COMMITTEE
The Executive Committee of the Feis met on Tuesday evening at the Royal Irish Academy House ….. Subscriptions were acknowledged from ….And Miss Carrie Donovan, 267 Hackney Road, London.

Martin, perhaps you should consider seeking a readers card from the National Library in Canberra. These are no charge, and you need to be resident in Australia.  Here’s a link to the online e-resources, including newspapers from Britain….

https://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/

Many listed under the link ‘Browse by category’

Including, the heading ‘Newspapers & Media’  there’s the following
https://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/item/4314  … The time period covered by these combined collections is 1600-1950. Together they provide the full text of historic local, regional and national newspapers, newsbooks & ephemera from across the British Isles. They include newspapers from London, the English regions, home country newspapers from Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. These titles present Britain in all areas

JM

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
Re John as English

13 Aug 1877, Carrie DONOVAN, admitted to Globe Road School, Town Hamlets, London, born 11 November 1871, with father as  Michael DONOVAN, 6 Ernest Place

Same date of admission as Carrie, there’s a John DONOVAN, admitted to same school, born 23 August 1873, with same father as Carrie.

I have not looked for their discharge, nor for their births, nor sightings of them on 1881 Census.

JM

1881 census

RG 11/ 421/52/97

6, Ernest Place, Bethnal Green

Michael Donovan, head, mar, 31, Hatter, Ireland
Caroline Donovan, wife, mar, 30, Middlesex Bethnal Green
Caroline do, daur, 9, scholar, do do
John do, son, 7, do, do do
A ?? do, son, 3, do, do do