Author Topic: World War 2 service record for my late father in RAFVR  (Read 451 times)

Offline mrfastbaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
World War 2 service record for my late father in RAFVR
« on: Sunday 02 September 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi All   
I have been sorting out some old paperwork and photos and have decided that I would like to know a little more about my late fathers service in the RAFVR . I know he was in Africa sometime around 1944 and trained as a navigator and was flight sergeant when he was demobbed. I have also found his service number 1816870. I was wondering how to get more information such as postings etc without incurring much cost if any.  Can anyone help or point me in the right direction  Thanks in anticipation. :)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: World War 2 service record for my late father in RAFVR
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 September 18 09:22 BST (UK) »
Welcome!

The only way to find out about his movements is to apply, and pay for, his service record.  WW2 records are all still held by the Ministry of Defence, there are no other records that will tell you his units which is the start point.  https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mrfastbaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: World War 2 service record for my late father in RAFVR
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD for your help will have a look at the link you have attached .. Regards