Author Topic: Kathleen Curtis born 10 June 1912  (Read 219 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Kathleen Curtis born 10 June 1912
« on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there RootsChatters

My laptop is exuding steam clouds at present as I search in vain for death details for Kathleen.

She was a daughter of Charles Joseph Curtis (1866-1940) and his wife Elizabeth Black (1880-1969) born on 10 June 1912 in Swanage, Dorset, and the last address I have for her is 18 Oxford Road, Abingdon, Berkshire from 1950.

After her father's death, she and her mother crossed the Atlantic to the USA and Canada for a prolonged vacation.  I can find no record of them returning to the UK but I know her mother died in Stokenham, Kingsbridge, Devon, England in 1969.

I'm hoping that someone has the details I need and that they will be good enough to pass them on to me although I may have mis-posted this search.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Kathleen Curtis born 10 June 1912
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
Have you found a will for her mother? That might tell you whether Kathleen was still alive in 1969 and could give an address.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Curtis&yearOfDeath=1970&page=2#calendar

Elizabeth died 28th December 1969 and left 3727

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom

I have the Probate for her mother, thanks, but it doesn't help any.  There's no mention of Kathleen or her brother William Kenneth (1911-2007) in it either.

By today's prices, Elizabeth left quite a bit of "lolly" anything between 48,080 to 135,200 depending on what value you look for.

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
I have the Probate for her mother, thanks, but it doesn't help any.  There's no mention of Kathleen or her brother William Kenneth (1911-2007) either.

Have you got the actual will, not just the probate?

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 September 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom

Just the Probate

Chiad Fhear

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 September 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
The probate won't tell you anything, just who applied for it, which may have been a solicitor. You need the will which you can get for 10 from that site, it's usually ready to download in about 5 days.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 September 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom

Looks as if I may have to "bite the bullet" and shell out for this to get settlement.  She isn't a direct descendant though but related through a multitude of marriages.

Chiad Fhear