Author Topic: Catholic Priest records  (Read 3803 times)

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Priest records
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 September 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
Wexflyer, I'm not sure that English libraries will be able to get hold of a copy of the book about Ferns clergy but I will give it a go.
I've started to go through the ordinary directories and have found a John Sinnott who was president of St. Peter's Roman Catholic College, Wexford in 1845. So that will be worth checking out once I've finished looking through the directories.
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 September 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
Wexflyer, I'm not sure that English libraries will be able to get hold of a copy of the book about Ferns clergy but I will give it a go.

There used to be an international inter-library lending scheme. I hope it still exists in these straitened times. Otherwise you may have to request someone in Ireland to do a look-up for you.
Let us know how you get on.
Cowban

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 September 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
To keep you all up to date, I have emailed St. Andrews Westland Row and Ferns diocese this morning, both of them got back to me very quickly and said they will pass the emails on to the relevant person to deal with it. The person that Ferns diocese referred me to, got back to me and said that their records do not show anybody from the Parish of Ballyoughter becoming priests in Ferns but that they could have been enrolled in another diocese or another country, either missionary or America.
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 September 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have only been dipping in here now and again so not sure if I am following properly re the time span and places. I don’t u derstand where you have Ballyoughter for your Sinnotts.

However,
There is a death of a Rev Robert Sinnott 58 yrs, P.P of Ballyoughter in 1886
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1886/06234/4784582.pdf

A newspaper snippet of 1876 mentions him assisting at the marriage of a cousin (the bride).
 There are also a couple of mentions of him after his death.

This though shows him as born Newtown, Kilmuckridge  :-\
http://www.camolinparish.ie/clergy1676-2010.html

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 September 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
My understanding is that the priests being sought may be brothers of Edward Sinnott, who was probably baptised 1821 in Ballyoughter, Co Wexford.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 September 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
My understanding is that the priests being sought may be brothers of Edward Sinnott, who was probably baptised 1821 in Ballyoughter, Co Wexford.

Which brings up the question of why OP believes that - that Edward Sinnott was from Balllyoughter, that is?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 September 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks culbaire.

I just thought I would mention it because of Ballyoughter but wasn’t sure. I haven’t quite worked it out yet.I’ll go back now and read about Edward.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 September 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
 Wexflyer,
I paid a researcher to look into my Sinnott line. Working back from his death date/age and the fact that his wife (Catherine Walsh) was born in Wexford he found their marriage in Monkstown  and probable births for both of them in Ballyoughter.
Heywood, those links look interesting. I will have a thorough look in the morning as I don't want to make any mistakes.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 September 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Wexflyer,
I paid a researcher to look into my Sinnott line. Working back from his death date/age and the fact that his wife (Catherine Walsh) was born in Wexford he found their marriage in Monkstown  and probable births for both of them in Ballyoughter.

Can you provide names, dates? It is always striking to me how economical people are with information. It is so much easier to help you if we can understand what is really KNOWN as opposed to conjecture. A look on Ancestry will throw up any number of pedigrees where all sorts of improbable combinations are asserted. A marriage here, a birth there...., the only common factor being that the names are the "right" ones.   Why would two people from Ballyoughter, Co. Wexford get married in Monkstown, Co. Dublin? What is there to link them to Ballyoughter, other than their names?

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area