Author Topic: Death / Will (Legacy Paid-1816) of this John Jefferson - Suggestions?  (Read 1433 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Death / Will (Legacy Paid-1816) of this John Jefferson - Suggestions?
« on: Sunday 02 September 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello

Hull Packet, 2nd July 1816
Under the Infirmary it has this sentence ...
The late Mr John Jefferson's legacy of ten pounds, has been paid by Mr John Terrington, into the bank of Messrs. Pease and Liddell, for the use of the Infirmary.

If it was a recent Will, I would have thought it should have been under the Will Abstracts (on TNA, website). However, I have only noticed a John Jefferson, 1809, Innkeeper of Thursby, Cumberland.

I would have thought this late John Jefferson with a £10 Legacy, would have died more recently and perhaps local to Kingston upon Hull?

Thank you, Mark

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death / Will (Legacy Paid-1816) of this John Jefferson - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 September 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
On FindMyPast both the Probate Index and the Index to the Death Duty Register have a John Jefferson listed in 1815 in Sculcoates. Unfortunatelt I cannot find a burial for him.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
The executor given in the death duty registers for the John Jefferson of Sculcoates (probate in Oct 1815) is an Eleanor Terrington so he does look likely to be your man.

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 September 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
Possibly....?

Stamford Mercury 29 September 1815

Last week, at Hull, aged 45, J. Jefferson, gent, son of the late Mr Jefferson of Winestead, Holderness.

Burial at Winestead: 22nd September 1815, John Jefferson of Hull, aged 45.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 September 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you very much for these three replies and his age too.

When I saw John Terrington and the Hull connection (quoted in my original post), I was hoping John Terrington, might be the Shipbroker (and he still might be). Also that John Jefferson might be a Captain / Ship owner, or Agent or Wharfinger at Hull.

Sculcoates, sounded very promising, but this John Jefferson, in the Hull - Humber - Holderness area, wouldn't be old enough at 45 years in 1815, giving a Birth of about 1770, for the John Jefferson I am seeking. But I didn't know his age.

John HOOD, Master Mariner, born Scarborough, Signed off by John Hood & John Jefferson at Hull
The Hull Muster Rolls, of John Hood, Master of the "Industry" to and from London 1781 - 1786 was born Scarbro' about 1740 and Hood's Abode was recorded as either Hull or Selby until 1786.

John Jefferson has also signed some of these Muster Rolls at Hull for Master, John Hood. I believe he is the same J. Jefferson, Master, who sailed the York Union.

John Jefferson, Mariner was Marriage Bondsman to John Hood, Mariner, in 1763 at Scarborough. A John Jefferson has died Scarbro' about 1765. However, that 1765 Will would be too early, to mention John Hood's children.

John Jefferson, Probate Entry I'm seeking

John Jefferson had to be old enough to be a Master by *1763 to the 1780s and perhaps later he was an Agent, but both Hood and Jefferson were operating from Hull in the 1770s. *Possibly even several generations of John Jefferson.

Some trimmed images (top of p.7) here (John Jefferson signed under John Hood also cut off r/h page)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg6541301#msg6541301

John Hood, Mariner didn't leave a Will and the 1819 Will at the Borthwick is not the John Hood of Selby, Mariner of interest.

But I am hoping John Jefferson (possibly retired or with ship related interests at death) left a Will, which I can purchase a scan of from the Borthwick, to see if it mentions Hood and especially any of his Children?

Thank you, Mark

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 September 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
Taken from Winestead MIs,

In memory of JOHN son of SAMUEL & ISABELLA/Jefferson, who died 15th of September 1816/aged 45yrs
PR Burial 1816 Sept 22 John Jefferson, Hull aged 45.

Next Entry,
In memory ocf SAMUEL JEFFERSON/ Who departed this life the eight of/ february/eighteen hundred and fifteen/aged seventy eight years/ Also ISABELLA his wife/who died May the thirty first/ Seventeen hundred and seventy three/aged thirty one years/ Also ISABELLA their daughter/aged seven weeks.

PR Burial  1815 Feb 12, Sml. Jefferson, Hull, 78
PR Burial  1773 Jun 2 Isabell, wife of Samuel Jefferson, Farmer.
PR Burial  1772 May 13, Isabella dau of Samuel Jefferson, Farmer.

Next Entry,
In Memory of WILLIAM JEFFERSON/ son of SAMUEL & ISABELLA JEFFERSON/ who departed this life May 8th/ 1807 aged {31} years.
PR Burial 1807 May 10 William son of Saml Jefferson

Next Entry
In memory of/ WILLM. the son of JOHN and/ELEANOR TERRINGTON /who died the 10th Novr [    ] aged 24yrs/ Also ELEANOR the wife of /JOHN TERRINGTON and/ mother of the above WILLIAM TEERRINGTON,  who died at Lincoln on the 22 November/ 1824, aged 58yrs.

PR Burial 1812 Nov 15  William son of John Terrington
PR Burial 1824 Nov 27 Eleanor Terrington, Hull, died at Lincoln.

There are also 6 more entries for members of Christopher Jefferson and family members, can send them if you need them,
Best gogogadgetlegs (Phil)

Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 September 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Taken from Winestead MIs,

In memory of JOHN son of SAMUEL & ISABELLA/Jefferson, who died 15th of September 1816/aged 45yrs
PR Burial 1816 Sept 22 John Jefferson, Hull aged 45.

Next Entry,
In memory ocf SAMUEL JEFFERSON/ Who departed this life the eight of/ february/eighteen hundred and fifteen/aged seventy eight years/ Also ISABELLA his wife/who died May the thirty first/ Seventeen hundred and seventy three/aged thirty one years/ Also ISABELLA their daughter/aged seven weeks.

PR Burial  1815 Feb 12, Sml. Jefferson, Hull, 78
PR Burial  1773 Jun 2 Isabell, wife of Samuel Jefferson, Farmer.
PR Burial  1772 May 13, Isabella dau of Samuel Jefferson, Farmer.

Next Entry,
In Memory of WILLIAM JEFFERSON/ son of SAMUEL & ISABELLA JEFFERSON/ who departed this life May 8th/ 1807 aged {31} years.
PR Burial 1807 May 10 William son of Saml Jefferson

Next Entry
In memory of/ WILLM. the son of JOHN and/ELEANOR TERRINGTON /who died the 10th Novr [    ] aged 24yrs/ Also ELEANOR the wife of /JOHN TERRINGTON and/ mother of the above WILLIAM TERRINGTON,  who died at Lincoln on the 22 November/ 1824, aged 58yrs.

PR Burial 1812 Nov 15  William son of John Terrington
PR Burial 1824 Nov 27 Eleanor Terrington, Hull, died at Lincoln.

There are also 6 more entries for members of Christopher Jefferson and family members, can send them if you need them,

Best gogogadgetlegs (Phil)

Thank you very much Phil for looking it up and transcribing.

Those surviving Memorial transcriptions, with P. Register summaries, are brilliant and Terrington matches the newspaper too in my original question. I have several for other places.

Looking at a Will of John Jefferson of York, Proved 15th December 1804 (and London 1805), which refers to any shares in ships and vessels that he may own at his decease, although this Jefferson is not the chap I first found in the newspaper (first post of this thread).

Christopher Jefferson not required at the moment, thank you.

Mark

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,
Have quite a few MIs for East Yorks so just let me know and i will give it a lookup shoukd you need
phil
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 November 18 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,
Have quite a few MIs for East Yorks so just let me know and i will give it a lookup shoukd you need
phil

Hello Phil

Have you got the MIs for St Andrew, Drypool, please?

I have ordered their Death Certificates. In the 1841 Census they lived at John Street, Drypool and were born Scotland by the looks of it. One subscription site has them under Wood in 1841, I am told.

I am particularly interested if there are any MI for:-

Andrew Hood, died 1844, aged 73 and
Agnes Hood, died 1854, aged 59.

How I discovered those Hoods in 1841 was from a Merchant Seaman Ticket issued London in 1845 for Thomas Hood, born Hull 19th June 1826, who gave his address as 1 John Street, Drypool, Hull.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=803376.msg6614363#msg6614363

Thank you if you have the MI and can help? If there are any Hood MIs (buried there in this period of time), I shall likely order a copy.

Thank you, Mark