Author Topic: Finally (remotely) connected to someone (slightly) famous!  (Read 6934 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Finally (remotely) connected to someone (slightly) famous!
« on: Sunday 02 September 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
After doing my Ancestry DNA and finding it more difficult than I thought to find connections who might help with my research, I've been looking at the other people's Family Tree hints attached to my ancestors more closely to see if any of them have done DNA tests and we are connected as the matching people might suggest.

And last night whilst paging through those trees (which generally don't have any backup sources) I recognised the name of a Tree Owner who also had one of my rellies on their tree.

Most of their tree was Private, so I had to do a bit of guesswork and digging, but I've finally calculated that I am 4th cousin once removed to a young actor who's featured extensively on a BBC show.

Quite excited - not sure why! - but I'm sure other people also feel a thrill of excitement when a familiar name comes up on an extended family tree search, and you wonder whether a work colleague, or a school mate, or a friend could actually be related to you.

Not mentioning the name of the (slightly) famous actor - he's MINE  ;) ;D

Although of course he's not shown as a DNA match.  That's of course because he's not done the test  ;)

Should I write to him and offer to share my tree which has a lot more interesting information about one of my most researched and difficult-to-find families?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finally (remotely) connected to someone (slightly) famous!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
Well you could write and receive one of a possible three responses:-

1.  No reply at all

2.  A thanks but no thanks

3.  A yes please tell me more.

Depends on whether he actually sees your letter or whether his post is filtered through other people.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
OR - you could send it to WDYTYA as a suggestion for a future programme

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
OR - you could send it to WDYTYA as a suggestion for a future programme

Well.....
I have to confess that did cross my mind   :)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
Great news, Igor - I love to find interesting connections in the FT!

I am reminded of a friend who was at school with someone in the 1950s who subsequently became Incredibly Famous in the world of theatre.  During their time at school together, the two of them were best  mates, and in the school's productions of Shakespeare, my friend invariably played one of the male leads, whereas his friend was generally Third Spear Carrier.

Years passed and they lost contact.  And then my friend happened to be within spitting distance of the theatre where his erstwhile friend was working, so he phoned, spoke to someone explaining that he and -  let us call him T -  had been best mates  at school,  and he wondered whether they could meet.  The person on the other end of the phone put my friend on hold, then after some minutes waiting, my friend was told, coldly, "I am afraid that T has never heard of you."
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
my friend happened to be within spitting distance of the theatre where his erstwhile friend was working, so he phoned, spoke to someone explaining that he and -  let us call him T -  had been best mates  at school,  and he wondered whether they could meet.  The person on the other end of the phone put my friend on hold, then after some minutes waiting, my friend was told, coldly, "I am afraid that T has never heard of you."

I've heard of this happening & not only with 'famous' people which seems to be when they 'climb the ladder' the people who helped get them there are forgot about conveniently  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 05:28 BST (UK) »
My claim to fame is my 1C1R Edwin Beverley, (Vincent).  He was apparently a quite well known supporting actor in the early 1900's and spent much of his life touring the theatres.  I think his claim to fame should be his exploits during WW1.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 06:18 BST (UK) »
My mums brothers first wife died aged 39 in 1963 from a heart attack, 2 weeks before her daughters wedding, she had known heart trouble medical history and guess the pressure of the build up of prep of the coming wedding was the cause of her attack.  Anyway ! my uncle married his 2nd wife in 1964 who was related to an actor, dance man, music hall compare of the TV show 'Sunday night at the London palladium' Dickie Henderson  of the 1960's years. That's my famous 'in law' indirect ancestor (For what its worth  ???)

I got more of a kick out :D of a middle aged daughters hand written account for an inquest 1868 of the morning her fathers ( My 4 Gt granddad) death from him having his breakfast, he was a shoemaker and ferryman. A man shouted for the ferryboat from the other side the river, while making the first trip across the river my GT granddad got caught in a strong current in the river, fell from his boat and found drowned in a weir down stream.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
My claim to gain is my fourth cousin a well known ice hockey player and coach in Canada his mum and my great aunts we're brought up to believe they were cousins and his father and my great uncle were friends as young men before they emigrated to Canada

Also my 3rd cousin 2xremoved is Herbert Ross co founder of Red Hackle Whisky who also had a wing at Erskine Hospital named after him