Author Topic: John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow, married 3rd of December 1742  (Read 3648 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow, married 3rd of December 1742
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
I researched the Fleetwood family of Glass-Sellers carefully about six years ago (looking for a connection to my own Fleetwood line, which turned out not to exist.).  Extensive research had been done on the family by others before me.

I can guarantee that your weaver is not related to the Glass-Sellers of St Andrew Undershaft.

I apologize for stating this baldly without providing evidence to back it up, but my memory of the family is now hazy.  I do recall that one John Fleetwood of the Glass-Sellers family married Barbara Wynne in 1754.

Thank you,

According to a search result on Ancestry, the John Fleetwood who married Barbara Wynne on the 24th of February 1754, was John Fleetwood junior:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/?name=John_Fleetwood&gender=m&marriage=1704_london-england-united+kingdom_5274&spouse=Anne_Bird

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
I have been following your conversation with great interest!  Having researched the Fleetwood Glass Sellers for quite a while I can confirm that there is no connection.

Good luck!

Do you know what became of the John Fleetwood, son of Robert who was baptised in 1720 please?
The John Fleetwood who married Barbara Wynne in 1754, was a John Fleetwood junior.

I am beginning to think now that my John Fleetwood may have been quite a bit older than Mary when he married in 1742:
There was a John Fleetwood, born April 1706 in Finsbury. Finsbury is only around 2.5 miles from Stepney. This John was baptised at Charter House Chapel. He was a son of Anne Bird, and John Fleetwood who were married in 1704.
I was able to find siblings of this John.

There are only two other baptisms that I could find on Find My Past, in London for a John Fleetwood:
Son of a Robert and Mary, baptised in 1707. I could not find any more siblings for this pair though.
The last one was from a pair who were married at Holy Trinity Minories in 1689:
Son of William Fleetwood and Elizabeth Barrell(?), baptised in 1700.

Thank you.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
French Protestant Church/ Spitalfields
Jeanne Fleetwood born 12 February 1744 bap 11 March 1744, parents Jean Fleetwood and Marie Mucklow. (read John and Mary)
ref Non Conformist Church listed on ancestry.

Thank you,

There may possibly be something in this French protestant connection regarding Mary. That may be why the surname over a short period of years was often spelt so differently.
I found this on the internet, which may suggest there could be French origins. This statement on that forum caught my eye:
"It seems to be spelt variously as MICLO, MICLOS, MICKLOE, MICLOX, MEEKLOE as the years pass, I'm sure through Anglicising and mis-transcribing."

Also from that forum there was Ann, baptised 10th of March 1702 at Thread Needle Street. Interestingly for me also she was born in Stepney and her father was a Weaver:
"Anne, daughter of Jacob Miclo, Weaver and Elizabeth his wife in Frying Pan Alley, Stepney parish, Spitalfields parish. Born 29 April.":

https://www.familytreeforum.com/archive/index.php/t-96452.html

:) ;)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
You are correct that the John Fleetwood who married Barbara Wynne is identified as being John Fleetwood Junior of the parish of St Andrew Undershaft.

So he isn't the John son of Robert.

I think John son of Robert is the John Fleetwood whose PCC will was made on 27 December 1759 and proved 17 Jamuary 1760 (& mentioned earlier by ciderdrinker).

He is identified in the will as being Citizen and Glass-Seller of London.

His will doesn't mention either a wife or children - just Nephews (sons of his late brother Robert), Nieces and Grand-Nieces.

As I said earlier, my memory of the different lines in this family is now over six years old.  However, Suziq2 should be able to confirm whether this is correct.

Offline Suziq2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, the information from horsleydown86 is correct.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, the information from horsleydown86 is correct.

Thank you.  :)

Offline Suziq2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Clarification re the Glass Sellers!

George the Regicide (1623-1672) had a son, Robert (1659-1712), Robert had a son, Robert (1686-1721) and another son, John (1691-1760).  Robert (1686-1721) had a son John (1720-1788). This last John was apprenticed to his uncle, John (1691-1760), who died unmarried and left a will.  John (1720-1788) married Barbara Wynne, had 7 children died at Walcot Place, Lambeth and was buried in St Mary's Lambeth.  All these Fleetwood men were glass sellers.

Offline Suziq2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 20:24 BST (UK) »
Re the baptisms of John Fleetwood jnr, i was getting a bit carried away!

I think he was baptised twice - in 1745 and then again 24 July 1811 at St Matthew, Bethnal Green. The entry states 'John son of John & Mary Fleetwood Born 20th November 1746.'  The only John I could find anywhere near that date, whose parents were John and Mary was the John baptised at Whitechapel in 1745. I think that this John went on to marry Mary Ann Read 25 December 1819 St Matthew, Bethnal Green.

John's brother, William, was buried Christ Church Spitalfields 20 October 1806, aged 54 and again, it is the age that seems to prove this one. Whether this link with Spitalfields indicates a connection to the 1789 settlement certificate is something to ponder!

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
Clarification re the Glass Sellers!

Robert (1686-1721) had a son John (1720-1788). John (1720-1788) married Barbara Wynne, had 7 children died at Walcot Place, Lambeth and was buried in St Mary's Lambeth.  All these Fleetwood men were glass sellers.

Hello thank you,

I thought the John who married Barbara Wynne was also son of a John Fleetwood.

Cheers.  :)