Author Topic: John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow, married 3rd of December 1742  (Read 3692 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow, married 3rd of December 1742
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 September 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
It appears I have just found out that Mary Mucklow was not the child of William and Alice Rogers.
There was a Mary Mucklow of St Andrew's Court, Holborn who was buried on the 28th of February 1735:
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBOR/COLB/1213/029608

I think last time I went to the library and viewed the baptism of Mary from 1732 on "Ancestry" St. Andrews Court was the address given.

These are the baptisms of children of John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow that I found:
John - baptised Christmas day 1745 in Stepney.

Then the rest appear to have all been baptised in Bethnal Green:
Charles - baptised 19th of June 1747.
Elizabeth -  born in Bethnal Green on 10.12.1748. She married Charles Thurston Stanley in Shoreditch on the 23rd of August 1770.  Charles died in Whitechapel on the 1st of May 1819, three days after stabbing himself in the stomach with a knife. He was also a Weaver. Elizabeth died in Whitechapel earlier that same year. These were my 6x great grandparents.
Sarah - bap. 17.09.1752
William - bap. 08.12.1753
Thomas - bap. 23.10.1758
Mary - bap. 23.01.1760
Henry - bap. 13.05.1761
Ann - bap. 02.01.1764

Thanks.  :) ;)

Offline Suziq2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 September 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
I have been following your conversation with great interest!  Having researched the Fleetwood Glass Sellers for quite a while I can confirm that there is no connection.

Having had a look at both records for the marriage of John and Mary I think that they do not state that Mary was a minor, but a spinster - spr.  She could have married below the legal age of 12, but equally she could have married against her family's wishes.

As a weaver, John would not have been well off and i suspect would not have married until he had completed his apprenticeship, which would make him at least 21, under the usual arrangements.  He could have been a lot older.

Have you made any progress with finding the burials of John and Mary?

That is such a sad story about your 6 x great grandparents.  It must have been quite a shock when you made the discovery about how their lives ended.

Good luck!

Offline Suziq2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 September 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
P.S. John Fleetwood bap. 10 October 1715 St Botolph Aldersgate, son of Miles and Anna, was buried 13 October 1715 St Giles Cripplegate.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 September 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
P.S. John Fleetwood bap. 10 October 1715 St Botolph Aldersgate, son of Miles and Anna, was buried 13 October 1715 St Giles Cripplegate.

Okay, thank you. So that rules him out then.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 September 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
I have been following your conversation with great interest!  Having researched the Fleetwood Glass Sellers for quite a while I can confirm that there is no connection.

Having had a look at both records for the marriage of John and Mary I think that they do not state that Mary was a minor, but a spinster - spr.  She could have married below the legal age of 12, but equally she could have married against her family's wishes.

As a weaver, John would not have been well off and i suspect would not have married until he had completed his apprenticeship, which would make him at least 21, under the usual arrangements.  He could have been a lot older.

Have you made any progress with finding the burials of John and Mary?

That is such a sad story about your 6 x great grandparents.  It must have been quite a shock when you made the discovery about how their lives ended.

Good luck!

Hello there,

I looked at the original image on Ancestry, and to me I thought it did say minor originally, sorry. I just had another look and it says "at (somewhere?)" or it may have been the initials of the Curator/ Vicar?. I haven't been able to find a burial for either John Fleetwood, or for Mary.
I see that some trees on Ancestry have John Fleetwood's year of burial as being 1788. I haven't managed to look into this, or where those trees got that information from.

Well, it's a shame I haven't been able to find a link to the Fleetwood Glass - Sellers of London:
On one line of their ancestors, Katherine Denny, wife of George Fleetwood, you can trace a line back to King Edward I.
Also, Bridget Spring, wife of Sir Thomas Fleetwood (1518-1570), was an 11x great granddaughter of King John.
Oh well, you win some you lose some!  :) ;)

Ragarding the birth of Mary Mucklow:
I believe now that she was baptised: "Mary Muckle" in Ratcliff, Stepney, London in 1722.
The father was John, a Baker.
A Jane Muckle was baptised in Stepney in 1720. Her father's name was John and I think her mother was a Margaret.
A John Mickloe was baptised in 1742 in Stepney. The father again was a John and the mother was a Mary Ann. The father's occupation was put down as a: "Barber."
There are transcriptions of Clandestine marriages in London for people with the surname of "Mickle" or "Mickloe". Not many for "Mucklow" between 1730-1750:
Elizabeth Mickle in 1737 had a Clandestine marriage and married Frank Bollott. He was a Weaver of Spitalfields.
John Mickloe, a Weaver of Spitalfields had a Calndestine marriage in 1744.
Charles Mickloe, a Weaver of St. James, Dukes Place (which is near Stepney again) had a Clandestine marriage in 1750 and married Sarah Brown.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
French Protestant Church/ Spitalfields
Jeanne Fleetwood born 12 February 1744 bap 11 March 1744, parents Jean Fleetwood and Marie Mucklow. (read John and Mary)
ref Non Conformist Church listed on ancestry.

Offline Suziq2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 07:32 BST (UK) »
John Fleetwood's marriage took place at Viner's.

I like the Mary Mucklow (variations) bap. 1722 Stepney.  Working on how old Mary was likely to be when her last child was baptised, I had a provisional date of 1725 give or take 5 years.

The French church connection is interesting!  If this is the same John Fleetwood, I have him being baptised three times - twice as an infant and again as an adult!

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
John Fleetwood's marriage took place at Viner's.

I like the Mary Mucklow (variations) bap. 1722 Stepney.  Working on how old Mary was likely to be when her last child was baptised, I had a provisional date of 1725 give or take 5 years.

The French church connection is interesting!  If this is the same John Fleetwood, I have him being baptised three times - twice as an infant and again as an adult!

Thank you,

So John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow/ Muckle were married at Viners.
Where else do you have this John Fleetwood being baptised please? 
Regarding John Fleetwood senior:
I have disregarded the baptism in 1729 of John Eaton Fleetwood being the same one who married in 1742. He would have been too young. I can now rule out the one baptised in 1720. And the one baptised in 1715.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
French Protestant Church/ Spitalfields
Jeanne Fleetwood born 12 February 1744 bap 11 March 1744, parents Jean Fleetwood and Marie Mucklow. (read John and Mary)
ref Non Conformist Church listed on ancestry.

Thank you.  I'm just wondering why they would have Mary's maiden surname on the register? Cheers. :)