Author Topic: Looking to find a photograph  (Read 735 times)

Offline Ayesha Alexandria Mortlock

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Looking to find a photograph
« on: Monday 03 September 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
hi
I am trying to find a photograph or a painting of my great-grandfather John Manson, as my mum has never seen one of him, her grandfather. I have been trying to find one for about 8 months now. Here is all the information I have on him

John Manson
B. Oct 1887, West Derby, Lancashire
D. June 1960, Liverpool, Lancashire
M. Emma H. Harris, 25 Dec 1925, Toxeth St Cleopas, Lancashire

His daughter Barbara Manson, my grandmother, recently passed away so we have no family who would be able to provide us with a picture.

Ayesha

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to find a photograph
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

The most likely people to have a photo with him in, identifiable, would be family.

Was Barbara his only child?  Did he have siblings who may have descendents who just may have a photo, say at a family wedding or suchlike, that he may be in?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Ayesha.

Sometimes, if you are lucky, you can find a photograph of family members on someone else's tree on Ancestry or other family history websites; I've done a very quick check on Ancestry though, and can't see anyone else with a tree which contains your grandfather. 

It is always difficult with family photos, because they were seldom marked with who they were, and were - and still are - often thrown out by younger generations when someone dies.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
I had a quick browse .. but its very wide search for the  newspapers.

Then wondered if he was in the Military at all?

Or Church groups.. Scouts or similar.... 'Buffs'

If you knew of any groups he belonged to  that may help.. bit its a wide net to cast.. sorry cant help any more..

People chuck pics so easily... its a ......................... disgrace...........   House clearances come along and chuck the pics so often.. aaaargh..

xin

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 01:39 BST (UK) »
In those days it was usually the bride's parents who organised everything, including the official photographer. 

The bride and groom would decide who to give a copy to, such as family and bridesmaids.   It might be an idea to try to trace the descendants of all the family members alive at the time of the wedding and not just concentrate on the whereabouts of grandma's copy.

You might be able to trace them on one of the Facebook pages, where somebody has set up a page with a title of (for example) "Toxteth Memories" or "Old Toxteth".  I belong to about three such webpages and there's often people asking about their predecessors who lived on "X-- Street", or is anyone related to X.  and quite a few get good responses.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke