Author Topic: Tyne & Wear Archives  (Read 658 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tyne & Wear Archives
« on: Monday 03 September 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
I've been registered at Woodhorn for approximately 2 years but never actually had the time to go up there and go through any records.

Tomorrow I have a few hours to spare and I'll also be in Newcastle so thought it might be worth pooping into Tyne and Wear archives to look at records for the one line of my family that will have records there.

Looking online it seems I need some card to access the records room, is this so.  Can anyone give me tips on using the records service there?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tyne & Wear Archives
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Take along some ID.  You will then be asked to fill out a small slip of paper with your name, address and phone number and you sign the entry book.  Takes all of 2 minutes.  Cards are not issued now.  At least this was the situation up to last week when I was last there.

If you want you can pay £10, I think it is for an all day photography pass so you can take your own photos.  I think you can get photo copies of parish records for around 50p.  As usual only notebooks and pencils rule applies.  There are free lockers to put your bag, coat in.

If you run out of time and need to look up Newcastle burials the library not far off has these too. Central library is open til 7 pm.  Great for old newspapers.

There is a cafe upstairs where you can get a drink.  Sainsburys and M&S at the nearby Central Station. Gregg over the road from Central Station.

Try to get there when it opens if possible just in case it gets full quickly and all microfilm readers get taken.  They don't have as many as Woodhorn.  Let them know what kind of reader you prefer.  I try to stay off the hand wind one - too laborious although some prefer this.   Or ring them up and book if you can.  The staff will give you a run through of what is where if you let them know it is your first time.

Be aware that you can't order items down over lunch time, such as work house records or other registers.  This does not apply to microfilm which are in filing cabinets.  Prepare well before you go, make a list of what you are after - time always goes too quick there.

This website will give you some idea of what is there - parish records/workhouse, etc.  Click on Tyne and Wear User Guides on the left.

http://www.margaret-hall-genealogy.com/page6.htm

You are going on a good day as Wednesday is often the busiest, I have found. 

Hope you have a great day there.  Happy hunting! :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Never been to that Archive. I was born in Britain & so were my family for 200 years, but the Archives I've been to, have always needed me to prove who I am with a Passport (photo Driving Licence ok) AND ALSO TWO ITEMS with my current address I live at, with something official recently addressed and posted to me within the last 3 months, with shows both my name and address together.

Yes quite a few places don't produce documents when staff are going / coming back from midday lunch, which can be from about 11.45 to 2.30. One or two places close midday, or have cut hours, both ends of the day too.

ADDED:- Agree with Jen & River Tyne Lass, have your list written out of what document references you wish to see beforehand and telephone in advance about the items you wish to see and any documents you have to order in advance and also book a Viewer (or any equipment) if you need one.

Taking your list, pencil & note book, with you is excellent advice too.

My last visit to an Archive needed two clear (full) Working Days Notice (some need 3, or more working days notice), ring in advance, usually the majority are most helpful.

But enjoy the experience!

Mark

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
In the past I've been a fairly frequent visitor to Tyne & Wear Archives.

As RTL has said, it's really important to prepare carefully before you go. Make a list of what you hope to look for. Most of the parish records are on microfilm; you might be lucky and find that there is a reader going free, but I always play safe and ring to book one.

Here is a link to their user guides  https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/user-guides-and-information  If you are after parish records do check to make sure that they actually have the records for the one in which you're interested!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks all.  Had hoped to go yesterday but too many issues with kids going back to school.  Hoping I can get there by the end of the week.