Author Topic: Ton Pentre, Rhondda - Burials  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ton Pentre, Rhondda - Burials
« on: Tuesday 04 September 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the deaths of my great grandparents. My name being Evans that is obviously not easy. In the 1911 census they were both still alive Thomas (aged 65) and Martha (aged 64).

Martha is a bit easier in that there are only three Martha Evans with a death registration in the Pontypridd District between 1911 and 1931 (and one more that I have discounted up to 1941). Given that her birth year was accurate on the 1911 census I assume that the death registered in 1925 with a birth year of 1847 is her.

There are however a few Thomas Evans registered, non of them showing a birth year of 1846 but his birth was registered in Q1 1847.

The family lived in Ton Pentre in the 1911 census and my father was born there in 1924 so I suspect that my great grandparents will both have died there.

My problem is that looking on Genuki I see that the Church was consecrated as a Parish Church in 1920 but there don't appear to be any burial records available prior to 1952. Does anyone have some local knowledge as to whether burials took place there prior to 1952 but the register was lost or whether burials took place elsewhere prior to 1952. I am thinking about going to Ton Pentre at some stage to try and see where my father was born but it would be good to look for gravestones if they exist while I am there to confirm dates of death for my great grandparents.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ton Pentre, Rhondda - Burials
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hello
Do you have any evidence that the family where buried in the Church Yard?
There are two cemetery`s close by  one is Treorchy and Penrhys Cemetery.
Penrhys cemetery details are available on line
I was unable to find your family in Penrhys Cemetery
Do contact the Library at Treorchy who may be able to help you with thier cemetery

Hope this helps
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Pontypridd Library have very good family history resources for the Rhondda and surrounding areas. I would contact them via email if unable to visit, normally staff are very helpful. 

They hold interment records for Treorchy cem which is most likely for your grandparents burial if stayed in area.  You could ask for a look up of the 1925 death of Martha to see if Thomas or others are in the same plot etc.  Address, informant signature on the record could maybe prove if correct or not. (Sometimes a family member, but also could be undertaker)

They also have electrol info from around 1918, but only searchable by supplying address.

Have looked at the Trealaw Burial index, (another large cem, further down valley) Martha death 1925 not there.

Good luck.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mnn/
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for taking interest in my post. I will certainly contact the libraries to see if they can narrow down my search before I come and visit. Thanks again for your help.

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cas (stallc) and Heddwch for your suggestions. I have been in contact with the libraries and as you suggested they are VERY helpful. Simon Golding from the library has turned over every stone he can think of to help. He has given me lots of information and even a snippet of a 1961 map to show where my grandparents lived but at the moment the final answer still eludes us. He has suggested that the first crematorium in Wales opened in Pontypridd in 1924 and perhaps my great grandparents were buried there. I have contacted them and am awaiting a reply.

So thanks again for your help.