Author Topic: Christopher jordan ,dornoch 1916  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher jordan ,dornoch 1916
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 20 September 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
Diarmuid...

The Walter I have been following which I posted looks to be out of the running when you consider where he was born & living throughout his entire life;

(b c1839 - 1842) was born Denny, Stirlingshire (consistently), wife May/Mary N

Children (maybe not them all)?;

Robert Neil (middle name taken from Probate)
Mary J
John N
Walter
James N
Jessie M

"Book Seller (1871/1881)/Advertising Contractor (1891)/Adverlesing (Advertising) Agent (1901)"

1901 living Blythswood, Glasgow
1891 " Gorbals, Glasgow
1881 " Govan, Lanark
1871 " Glasgow, Lanark
1861 " Denny, Stirling
1851 " "
1841 (not found)

My sincere apologies as although this Walter was a 'Contractor' it doesn't look as though he was connected with Christopher  :-[

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Diarmuidgannon1916

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 21 September 18 01:12 BST (UK) »
Yes it says Mary Neil on death cert for Walter , so it back to the drawing board Annie not to worry diarmuid, I still have the police report from 1916, maybe that's the only connection I find with Scotland.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 21 September 18 09:35 BST (UK) »
Leaving aside just for a moment the problem of identifying Cowan I guess Diarmuid may be wondering why Christopher came to be working in Scotland and so it might be helpful to attempt to place Christopher’s presence in Scotland into some sort of historical context. Plumbers would have lost a lot of their young men being mobilised as reservists or territorials or even volunteering after the outbreak of war in 1914. As it became apparent that more men were needed there were more initiatives to sign men up. Skilled men could often go straight in to the Army Service Corps and be paid much more than the infantry. However, despite all the various initiatives it became apparent that many more men were required and so in January 1916 the Government introduced conscription throughout the United Kingdom, wtih the exception of Ireland. And so it was that Christopher, free from social or legal pressures to enlist, probably already working in Scotland to help fill gaps, could continue to work in Scotland as even more plumbers were lost to conscription. Women filled many of the jobs vacated by men but there would have been few who could quickly replace a fully qualified plumber trained in dealing with the more complex systems and many Irish men were recruited to fill technical vacancies.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)