Author Topic: Family history Bernard Darragh, born in Ahoghill, township Gloonan  (Read 2196 times)

Offline MKREIJNS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family history Bernard Darragh, born in Ahoghill, township Gloonan
« on: Wednesday 05 September 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather Bernard Darragh, was born in 1860 in the township Gloonan city Ahoghill. His parents were Bernard Darragh and Mary Hutton. They were farmhands and are registered as such. The family left the farm in 1861 or 62. This is after the Ahoghill revival.
1. Where did they go?
2. Was this a result of the Ahoghill revival?
My great grandfather moved to Scotland in??? and lived and died in Glasgow. I have written and documented his life story in Glasgow, but I can't find any family history further back than his birth in 1860.
If any one can help me to get further back, this would be very much appreciated.
I am willing to share all my findings and documents with any Darragh that might be related.
Any help is very welcome.
Michael Kreijns
The Netherlands

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family history Bernard Darragh, born in Ahoghill, township Gloonan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 17:53 BST (UK) »
Looking at Griffith's Valuation, a Bernard seems to have still been in the townland in 1862. Then, in the Valuation Revision books, a Bernard Darragh's house seemed to change to a new occupier in 1867.

What information do you have that leads you to believe the family left the townland in 1862? Which Scottish census does Bernard junior first appear in?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
A 79yr old Bernard Darragh of Gloonan, died there on 15th January 1893. A daughter, Agnes, was the informant..

An 80yr old Mary Darragh, widow, died at Gloonan on 20th February 1900. Her death was also registered by a daughter, Agnes.

Potential for Agnes, albeit would need further research:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ahoghill/Ahoghill_Village/924282/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ahoghill/Ahoghill_Town/115504/

Based on the niece noted in 1911, a Matilda Darragh, daughter of a Bernard Darragh, married a James Haughian (?sp) in the Roman Catholic chapel at Ahoghill, on 9th July 1875. An Agnes Darragh was one of the witnesses.

A Matilda, daughter of a Bernd Darragh and a Mary, was baptised in Ahoghill in 1856.
An Agnes, daughter of a Berd Darragh and Mary Hatton, was baptised in Ahoghill in 1844.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
There is an 1860 baptism in Ahoghill for a Bernard Darragh, albeit with parents noted as Henry (clearly written as such) and Mary. I wonder if 'Henry' was possibly mis-heard from, 'Bernie'.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline MKREIJNS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 September 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for responding as quick as you did. I didn't expect this.
To answer all the questions in chronologic order:
1. They were Roman Catholic
2. In the book with I found on Internet 1864-1879, Bernard leaves the farm an James Delofs takes it over. In the first pages I found a note out of which I understood that Bernard left in 1862.
3. Bernard Darragh changed his name in Darroch to sound more Scottish. The first Census entry 1s in 1891. He lived Govan Glasgow, 307 Caledonia Road with his wife Catherine Conor, their daughter Ellen who was 3 and my grandfather Henry James who was born in 1890.

I was happy to learn about Agnes, who is named on the death certificates of Bernard Sr and Mary. I wil research this further.
I will use the links who were sent to me.

Is there anyone out there who can inform me about the implications "the Ahoghill Revival" had on the Ahoghill community?

If there is any information on Bernard Darragh Senior and his wife Mary Hutton (Hatton), I am very interested, as I only could find that they were the parents of Bernard Darragh Jr.

Thank you all for helping me

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 September 18 18:43 BST (UK) »
I'v sent a message to another rootschat member,  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=10345 , directing them to this thread. They have Darragh - Portglenone. Given proximity of Ahoghill to Portglenone, I've asked if in their own research around the area, they might have come across anything on your Darraghs.

Offline charlotteuk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Scotmum for alerting me about this Darragh thread.

I have previously saved a note about the 1844 marriage if Bernard Darragh & Mary Hutton (Hatton) at Ahoghill but have not been able to find a connection to my Darragh ancestor. It is possible that there may be a family link but I have yet to find sufficient evidence to prove this. My Jane Darragh was living in Casheltown townland at the time of her 1879 marriage in Ahoghill but the priest did not record her father’s name and it appears the registrar did not receive any information either as there is no marriage certificate. Griffiths valuation shows a Henry, Roderick and James in Casheltown and 1901 census also has a Bernard Darragh and Catherine (Watson) who were married in Ahoghill in 1833.

MKREIJNS - I will alert another contact to your query as they are also researching Darraghs in the Ahoghill area in this period.
GRIFFIN/GRAFFIN - Portglenone/Ahoghill Co.Antrim & Clydebank/Motherwell
NEESON - Co Antrim/Motherwell/Chicago
DARRAGH - Portglenone Co.Antrim
             ----------------------
DARLOW - Kenilworth/Coventry/Bubbenhall
(& South Warwickshire pre 1850)
DILWORTH - Kenilworth