Author Topic: Family history Bernard Darragh, born in Ahoghill, township Gloonan  (Read 2203 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Family history Bernard Darragh, born in Ahoghill, township Gloonan
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 September 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
Nee, ik kan geen nederlands!

From this web site
www.thecore.com/seanruad/
I see that Ahoghill is not such a small parish, after all: it contains lots of townlands.
Unfortunately there are no maps on that web site.
I was going to scan part of the Ordnance Survey map, but someone is sure to complain that I'm infringing copyright.
Anyway, an acre is about 4000 mē (0.4 ha): I assume statute acres are meant (Irish plantation acres were larger).

The townland of Gloonan includes part of the village of Ahoghill, but most of it is farm land, probably with a few scattered houses.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 September 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
This site will show maps of townlands and parishes. For example, here's Ahoghill Parish-
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/ahoghill/
You can also see the townlands (23 in this case) in the parish, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline marieenrose

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 September 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I live in Quebec City in Canada.
I found this grave in Notre-Dame-de-la-Visitation Cimetary in the former city of Sainte-Foy (also spelled Ste-Foy in French). It is now a part of Quebec City.
Hope it can help!

Marie

Offline MKREIJNS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 September 18 21:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Marienrose,
To my knowledge at this moment, this Bernard is not a member of the  family Darragh I am researching. Bernard Sr died in Ahoghill 1893, Bernard Jr went to Scotland and died in 1926 in Glasgow.
But I might find another lead an can place this Bernard in the family tree at some time. I will keep you posted.