Author Topic: Catherine Urquart Macleod (Macloud) MBE  (Read 1954 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Catherine Urquart Macleod (Macloud) MBE
« on: Wednesday 05 September 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if I have posted this before Catherine's name is on the family headstone of her parents
George Gordon Macleod ( Macloud )and Hughina Aird
Catherine was born 1883 and died 28.6.1967
how did she get a MBE
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Urquart Macleod (Macloud) MBE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 September 18 21:36 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if I have posted this before Catherine's name is on the family headstone of her parents
George Gordon Macleod ( Macloud )and Hughina Aird
Catherine was born 1883 and died 28.6.1967
how did she get a MBE
Elizabeth
Best way to start is to go https://www.thegazette.co.uk/ and search there, but do check the spelling of her names before you do so. Her birth was registered in Kincardine, Ross and Cromarty in 1882 as Catherine Urquhart MacLeod.

Macloud is a very unusual spelling, and Urquart is also extremely rare.

Be prepared for a longish search.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 September 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this
where I got the name Macloud from when i first started searching I paid for a search of my McKenzie family I had no idea at all about . Firstly searching for my grandfather all I had was that he was born on a ship outside New Zealand and as we are in England I thought the family had sailed from New Zealand it was all wrong information from my dad ....On the papers that came back and very good £30 well spent George Gordon MacLoud was in it, later on his headstone I found the spelling different MacLeod
sorry i missed the H out of Catherine's name
many thanks again I'll have a look at this site tomorrow
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 October 21 20:56 BST (UK) »
What did you find?  Also, what is your connection to Catherine Urqhart MacLeod?

I am working on a project to understand where all the McLeods in Easter Ross came from and where they all went.  I have that the parents of George Gordon MacLeod, Catherine's father, as Angus McLeod and Florence Ross, originally of Assynt, is that correct?  Or do you have more accurate info?  Where did the Gordon and Urquhart middle names come from?

George Gordon MacLeod the master of Gledfield School.  67 average attendance.  Was he the only teacher or does master mean head teacher?   Where did he receive his training?  Rev. Alex MacLeod (E.C) was on the school board.  Was he related? 

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 17:27 BST (UK) »
I've not looked at this site for some time George Gordon McLeod's mother was Helen Gordon and his father was Walter McLeod
He was illegitimate b 1848 d 11.9.1925 at Blair House Edderton Perth Scotland
He married Hughina Aird  and went on to have 9 children Sorry for the delay
Elizabeth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

Did you find the details for Catherine and the MBE Award?

The Aberdeen Evening Express - 26 September 1945 has:

MBE: Miss Catherine MacLeod, a nursing sister, at E. Fortune Sanitorium, Eddertoun, Ross.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

I had Hector McLeod and Helen Gordon as parents but am pleased that you have corrected that mis-impression.  I have one correction for you.  Edderton is in Ross-shire not Perth.  It is near to Tain.

I do have a Walter Taylor McLeod who was born in Tain and wonder if he is the Walter McLeod.  He was born 15 Oct 1820 and died in 1855.  I have also a Walter Ross McLeod born 10 Jun 1811 but he is a less likely fit.

I only have 8 children, if you could supply the missing one, I would appreciate that.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 10:18 BST (UK) »
The last child was Janet Gordon MacLeod born 27.June 1891 Kincardine Ross
I have the birth certificate
George is at the birth

Elizabeth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 10:20 BST (UK) »
Are you a relative
Helen Gordon is my 2nd great grandmothers sister Janet MacKay Gordon
Who married Alexander McKenzie

You can email me by PM

Elizabeth